• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got stuck...need some tips

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well I went wheeling yesterday and I got stuck in a mud put up to my doors. I was there for about 10-15 mins. Now since I got out my brakes almost didnt want to stop me I pumped them a few times and then they got back to normal, however, I do have a horrible squeaking coming front what sounds to be front and rear. I would assume I have mud in the drums and I am going to take those off to check and clean, but up front I am not sure what would cause it. I can go from a slow roll and the squeak starts, all the way to highway speeds and the squeak is a constant nail on chalkboard sound.

Also in about 2 weeks I am getting my front and rear lockers, even after being muddy like that could it be safe to drive that long without changing my diff fluid since ill have to when I get my lockers.

Sounds more like you just have a coincidence on your hands and you need new brake pads. That noise is probably being made by the "squealers" (little metal tabs at the last bit of the brake pad life), and it's telling you that you need to replace them soon.

Just jack the front end up and take the brake caliper off and inspect the pads and rotors would be my first suggestion... can't hurt, and takes about 20 minutes total, even if you aren't that mechanically inclined. You'll just need a 7mm allen wrench and whatever lug wrench you need to take the wheels off.

I would buy the pads first and if you really find that you don't need them, you can always take them back, but my guess is you do need them.

If you weren't in the mud for long, I wouldn't worry about changing the diff fluid right now. I did stuff like that many times (stuck in DEEP mud) with my XJ back when I first got it and thought it could go anywhere, and never changed the diff fluid out. When I did finally change it, it was black as night and very thin, but had no water or mud in it.

NotMatt said:
Sounds more like you just have a coincidence on your hands and you need new brake pads. That noise is probably being made by the "squealers" (little metal tabs at the last bit of the brake pad life), and it's telling you that you need to replace them soon.

I disagree a little here. In my experience, after going through muddy water I often get a bit of brake squeak. Thats not to say that what 'notmatt' has said isn't true; but not the first place I would look. I would pull the drums off and just do an inspection. Doing this will allow you to clean any potential mud out as well as inspect your shoes to determine wear.

NotMatt said:
If you weren't in the mud for long, I wouldn't worry about changing the diff fluid right now. I did stuff like that many times (stuck in DEEP mud) with my XJ back when I first got it and thought it could go anywhere, and never changed the diff fluid out. When I did finally change it, it was black as night and very thin, but had no water or mud in it.

While you may not need to change it, I sure as heck would look at it. Popping the plugs on your diff and taking a look at the gear oil takes about 5 minutes and might save you a whole bunch of money. Better safe than sorry...

-jm

probably small rock caught on front rotor or in drums.

Well I took off the drums and just some dirt, but up front there were about 5 rocks stuck in each rotor and the little plate. One of the guys sent me a picture of what he found to be a problem.

345720439lUTvtc_ph.jpg

My post normally sits REAL close to the coil. I have adjustable LCAs. When the coils uncompress the post actually touches the coil, and when it compresses like in the picture the post actually grabs the coil and eventually just unloads and scares the living crap out of me, is this a sign I need longer UCAs.

well the picture isnt working for me and i dont have an edit button for some reason but here is the picture of the coil again.

coil.jpg

You should never have it sitting like that. Even stock arms that have been correctly shimmed for caster wont look like that? What height are you at and are the arms at their longest now and still within caster specs?
Look at my site if you want to know how to adjust and read that.
www.go.jeep-xj.info

I am at about 4" my LCAs are a little over 16" umm I dont have any shims or anything. I havent gotten an alignemnt since I tossed in my spacers. That really scares me hearing that coil unload like it does

Scares me to see that it gets wheeled and driven like that.

Well the mud was pushing the tire like that so it was back a little further. When its on the road it doesnt touch the coil, but it is kind of close. That is the first time its ever been like that. I have no idea why.

Back