• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

superflex joint looseness

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
How loose should a superflex joint in the RE HD trackbar should be? I can easily rotate it with my fingers (I remember new was so tight I had to use a long bolt to straighten the center section for install)

I tighten mine down just to the point of having no slop. I'm running 7 joints in my front and haven't had to adjust any yet. I only have about 3500 miles on them. I can rock my LCA's by hand (torsionally) with the vehicle sitting and they don't make any noise or have any play when driving. Keep them well lubricated, tightened up to the point of no slop and you'll be fine. Hope this helps!

Brad

Last edited:
BMP_Racing said:
I tighten mine down just to the point of having no slop. I'm running 7 joints in my front and haven't had to adjust any yet. I only have about 3500 miles on them. I can rock my LCA's by hand (torsionally) with the vehicle sitting and they don't make any noise or have any play when driving. Keep them well lubricated, tightened up to the point of no slop and you'll be fine. Hope this helps!

Brad

How do you tighten it? Btw, I'm talking about the innard of the joint where they have that ball inside.

Kejtar said:
How do you tighten it? Btw, I'm talking about the innard of the joint where they have that ball inside.

There is a set screw with an allen head that is supposed to keep'em tight, but I found that my old control arms were missing them. I don't know how common that is. After you get the set screw out of the way, there is a special socket RE sells to tighten the joint.
Billy

RE3772.jpg

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=788

If using the RE tool to tighten front housing retainer doesn't work check for any wear on the two plastic bushings inside and replace if necessary. Inside the superflex joint there are 2 white plastic bushings surrounding and housing the spherical metal joint between them. First take the set screw out with allen wrench, use the RE tool to take out the metal retainer on the front of the joint. Then either use a press on the back metal retaining washer to push the plastic bushings out, SLOWLY & CAREFULLY. Or what I did was put the joint face down on a vice that should be opened to allow just the outside metal structure of the joint to rest on the edges so the bushings can be pounded out without obstruction, Then with a 1" socket put over the back metal retaining washer and a BFH I slowy pounded out the bushings from the housing of the joint to replace.

D

Kejtar said:

Remi, is that the small or large superflex joint? Because I have the special tool and extra races for the small joint.

If you want them, drive on down. :)

If it's an RE style joint, there's a set screw to loosen, then tighten the race on one side with a spanner.

I've had RE control arms on for 3+ years, and have never had to adjust the joints.

ChiXJeff said:
If it's an RE style joint, there's a set screw to loosen, then tighten the race on one side with a spanner.

I've had RE control arms on for 3+ years, and have never had to adjust the joints.
Well my axle ones are still tight while the trackbar one is all loose.

Anyways is that tool really just a big spanner wrench? If so I can make one easily ;)

Kejtar said:
With what gas cost nowadays I think it'd be cheaper for me to order one :D
Made a tool, and after tightening that sucker, man what a difference. No more (for now?) clunk in my steering as I turn my wheels !

Last edited:
Back