• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end hissing

Roll-over

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some fun w/ this one... The jeep is a '90 xj 4.0 5-speed 4x4. The problem is when i start the engine there it a loud hiss coming from the rear end. It sounds just like a leaking air hose or punctured tire. the jeep is basically stock with about 3-4 inches of lift, so there's no OBA or vacuum back there. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Fuel pump? If you turn the key to 'on' but not 'start' you should hear the fuel pump pressurize the lines. Once you do that, start the engine and see if the noise still occurs.

Yucca-Man said:
Fuel pump?

When I turn the key to "run" I can hear the pump wind up but it's more of a whir, not a hiss... Though it does lead me to wonder if once the rail heats up, that pressurizes the tank and I have a pinhole somewhere. Would that be possible?

Roll-over said:
When I turn the key to "run" I can hear the pump wind up but it's more of a whir, not a hiss... Though it does lead me to wonder if once the rail heats up, that pressurizes the tank and I have a pinhole somewhere. Would that be possible?

Quite possible, also possible though rare that a clogged charcoal canister is preventing it from venting. Easy to check: just take the gas cap off and see if it goes away.

Do you have the stock air filter? I have a Rock It Air Tube with K&N Air filter and it makes a hiss.

My fuel pump has hissed ever since it was new. People regularly ask me if I have a leak or something, but it's just the fuel pump. Hasn't posed a problem in 237,000 miles.

Back