• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding MJ leaves to an xj pack

CW

NAXJA Forum User
hey, I am going to the pull & save this weekend to pick up a 4.0 for my stroker and while Im there I was going to grab a set of shackles from an MJ to add to my lift. From what I have heard, the mj shackles will give me 3/4". I just got a set of 2" coil spacers from rubicon express, and I need to match that in the rear. Could I add a leave or two from the MJ pack into my pack to make up the 1 1/4" in the rear? Any info would be helpfull. -Thanks

The MJ shackles will give you more like 1/2", not 3/4".

MJ springs have a lot more initial arch than XJ leaves. You may get more lift than you want/need, and even if you get the 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" you need, it may sag quickly because you'll have that one leaf with the bigger arch doing so much of the work.

You would do better to grab a set of XJ leaves. Take the main leaves, cut the eyes off just short of where they start to wrap to form the loop, and use those for your AALs. That should net you just about what you need. If you need a bit more, pop in another XJ leaf.

I forgot to mention that I already have a RC short add-a-leaf in my pack that netted me 2" and I added a 1"block to reach 3 inches. If I add springs from another MJ/ XJ pack should I take the AAL out and aim for 3.5"-4" and use the block, or should I leave it in and go for 1"-2"?

Oops -- my bad. I didn't read your sign so I didn't realize you already have a lift.

Okay, back to square one. Dump the shorty AAL and the block. They are junk. Find a set of early Dakota rear springs in a junk yard, take them apart, and use all except the main leaf to replace all but the main leaf in your XJ springs.

http://www.cheapxj.com/dakota.html

Back