• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Swap - Check my pattern.

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
Been working on my 8.25" gears. I'd like to get some feedback from the local gear guru's...
Initial set up using .012" shim under set up bearing, no crush sleeve.
.006" backlash

Looks to me like I need to go with a .010" shim. Any thoughts?

537nfs

Can you get a closer pic? Looks like you need to go deeper but it's hard to tell from that far away.

Since your not using the crush sleeve make sure you have all the slop out of the pinion bearings. I usually go ahead and get them close to spec on the drag when doing it that way.

If the backlash is correct then the pinion is to deep.

Ran into another problem so I'm done for now. I'll have to address the pinion depth later. Out of curiousity and complete ignorance, what happens when you run gears with the pinion too low, or too deep?

I bought a used Powertrax no slip about a month ago and just got around to looking at it this evening. I really should have my head examined...
53jrex

Hopefully the seller will contact me shortly and I can get this resolved.

if the pinion is too deep into the ring gear, it runs a chance of binding on it under higher loads. also, a little less or more backlash can be combated by running the appropriate weight oil. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't .006 backlash a tad on the skinny for a 8.25?

Frank Z said:
on the pic on the bottom, it looks not quite deep enough in the one on the top, it looks a little too deep. about halfway between the two should be about right. the contact patch looks like it would center inside the tooth better , too.

Avg. backlash was .006, max variance allowed is .003. Measurements were taken in 4 places per the FSM. The pattern was as close as I was going to be able to get it, not perfect but not to bad as far as a first time gear swap is concerned. Everything is back together and running. a trip around the neighborhood and no noise under load or acceleration. Took it out on a longer trip and got it up to 75-80 and nothing exploded, no noise at all. Other than the locker shown above it was a fun weekend project and not nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Back