• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Bumper for 88 XJ!!

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I cam across this ford bumper near my friends hot rod shop and decided it would be a good practice job for my welding class. It seems to fit rather nice and it has 3/16" brackets mounting it where the stock bumper went. fun times!

Picture050.jpg

Picture051a.jpg

-SteVe

Intresting, wonder what other trucks have the same frame width. As for the rear I saw a PA state XJ the other day with a rear skid and a pickup truck step type bumper. Fit pretty well but was also well rusted which took away from it's looks.
Your looks good, actually better than the stock one IMO...also with it being open down below I wonder how much more air flow you get now into the engine compartment, might even be a good location for a tranny oil cooler.

Looks really good! Is it a mid 90s Ranger bumper?The hole in the middle with the red showing through kinda looks like a mouth.

Last edited:
winch.... somtime soon ;) and it was either a ranger or exploder bumper. I basically just boxed in the rear with 1/8" plate and made brackets from 3/16" with a press to make the mounting holes. Stock mount location. Thanks all!!

If I did not know it was a ford bumper, I'd say it looks nice! :laugh3:

Naw man, looks good!

I wouldn't want to have to use it as a bumper with 3/16 holding it in place, but then again most people don't drive like me! :laugh3:

Kudos for doin something different!

the only thing that looks good about that ford ranger bumper is that you've attached it to an XJ
take that $hit off

The main reason for this replacement was that the oem bumper was in a fender bender awhile back and look like crap. I wanted to do something different and this came to me free, my class has plenty of 1/8" flat bar to box it in with and a friend of mine on the base where I'm stationed hooked me up with the 3/16" plates. The thick mounting brackets really reinforce the mounting area, and I plan on throwing a piece of square tube in for temporary reinforcement for side impacts. Basically, what I'm saying is its way more functional than original and FREE. Thanks for the posts.

-SteVe

Nice work! Gives it a new look with the rounded corners. If you get the time do a write up. I'm sure there would be a great deal of interest.

Brad

Here are some pics...

Here shows where you need to trim the upper lip of the bumper:
Picture033.jpg

Here is where I boxed in the bumper with 1.8" plate and ran a bracket off it made of 3/16" and added some triangle plates to reinforce some:
Picture035a.jpg

I also had to go around and fill all the trim holes. This bumper will be stronger than it was mounted stock on a fOrd and it looks better because I ground off the fOrd emblem and put in on a jEEp.

-SteVe

Last edited:
Looking at your first pics I could visualize the bumper being moved out some and a winch tray put behind it with a cutout in the top of the bumper or a winch mounted upside down like the arb's do and a set of roller fairleads in that open bottom..

Does anyone have a picture of a sturdy bracket that you would purchase? I have been curious as to how some of the companies that manufactures aftermarket bumpers reinforce the mounting brackets and the jeep itself as the mounting area is kinda weak. I have an idea of doing just what you mentioned and adding a winch plate in the future. Thanks for the posts.

-SteVe

Someone asked earlier in the thread if the bumper was from a Ranger or Exploder. Both models used the same bumpers on the basic versions throughout the early '90's.

I only know because my wife managed to plow the front of her Exploder into the rear of another Exploder one night coming home from work.

Cool. Good example of "use it if you got it". Its refreshing to see folks thinking outside the box.

Back