• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton XJ (Rear) Coil Conversion

vantage

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone sean the Clayon 4link rear coil kit?

Their site still says in testing and I have had no luck finding pics anywhere.

Is anyone demoing it?
Anyone been to their shop to see it? and come away with images?

Red97XJ said:
that seems like it would be REAL easy to flip on a side hill!

What do you guys think? I think the leaves in back give some stability....
depends on geometry, spring rates, and swaybars, it could certainly be more stable than leafs if properly designed and tuned.

it looks to have some good angles for anti-squat and a fairly high and flat roll axis (good). I'd like to see some hard numbers though. the only big problem I see is the loss of ground clearance at the frame end of the lower links.

pair8hd said:
That's some unnecessary flex.

I have yet to run into a fork lift on the trail.

No but we have rocks like this......

029_29A.jpg
rock-33.jpg

BrettM said:
depends on geometry, spring rates, and swaybars, it could certainly be more stable than leafs if properly designed and tuned.

it looks to have some good angles for anti-squat and a fairly high and flat roll axis (good). I'd like to see some hard numbers though. the only big problem I see is the loss of ground clearance at the frame end of the lower links.

kinda kills BOA....lossof 3" or so is a bunch

xjnation said:
kinda kills BOA....lossof 3" or so is a bunch
absolutely! and for the rocks in CA (and AZ for you), it would make the kit basically worthless. however I will give it to Clayton, that there may be certain terrains (dunes, mud, streets :laugh3: ) that the loss of break-over is worth it.

I think that Beezil was correct when stating that you can't design a rear triangulated 4 link in an XJ that has good geometry and breakover without cutting through the floor. (though I have heard good things of the Rock Krawler kit, but haven't seen it yet) just another reason to have an MJ :D

BrettM said:
absolutely! and for the rocks in CA (and AZ for you), it would make the kit basically worthless. however I will give it to Clayton, that there may be certain terrains (dunes, mud, streets :laugh3: ) that the loss of break-over is worth it.

I think that Beezil was correct when stating that you can't design a rear triangulated 4 link in an XJ that has good geometry and breakover without cutting through the floor. (though I have heard good things of the Rock Krawler kit, but haven't seen it yet) just another reason to have an MJ :D

no floor! LOL

Flex doesn't matter. It's all about balance. I would rather run 6" of travel that was balanced than 10" that wasn't.

I had a problem getting the back balanced (to stiff or springs crapped out quickly) with the front so I went to coils in the rear. Reversed the problem I started with. The link above show's that exactly. The front is wanting to dictate the attitude of the body. The two pics posted by xjnation show two rigs that are pretty well balanced.

Beez had the same problem but he chose to go exotic vs. custom leafs. He was also going after being able to tune the suspension more than a leaf setup would provide. Since he's not around to defend himself I can say that. :D

There is a reason TJs/ZJs run the factory rear sway bar. Hell im about to run the sway bar in the front just to get the leafs to do something! Ramps, forklifts ect do nothing for tuning balance of a suspension. Mine looks great on a ramp, balanced and all. Get it out on the trail and the front will lift a tire almost always before the rear moves much. Leaf sprung suspensions seem to need more unsprung weight to make the leafs twist, wrap to make articulation possible where as coils dont need the weight to articulate.

Back