• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which yj gears can I swap into my xj

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put 4.10 or 4.11 gears in my xj dana 30/35 combo. If I am only swapping in the ring and pinion from the yj (I will get master rebuild kits as well, but I will get those new), which years will work on my xj? I am getting mixed opinions as far as spider side gears and abs go, and whether or not there is a new carrier in the yj for the dana 35 after 1994...

Thanks in advance for your help.

My advise would be to just find some axles out of a 4banger cherokee that already has 4.10's in them. It will save you some work and probably be cheaper. Plus then you can sell your current axles and come out about even.

All of the YJ gears will work (through 95) for the 30. You will need the 4.10 carrier for the front (break is 3.54). ABS spiders, blah, blah, blah don't matter.

The rear depends on what your running now. XJ, YJ, TJ, and ZJ D35 gears will work. If you have 3.55's you don't need to swap carriers. If you currently have 3.07's you will need to change the carrier. Have to match the carrier with the type of 35 though. If your gears come out of a c-clipped axle and yours isn't (assuming since your profile says an '89) the carrier on the gears won't work. Can't swap a c-clipped carrier into a non-clipped housing.

Back