• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

micKey thompson tires

good303

NAXJA Forum User
im new to the xj world and have just earned the coins to get my lift and tires but i stucK in a bind at what to get . i want something with good street manners and milage but also has the ability to get me up a muddy hill , im looKing at the mt baja radial mtx , baja belted tires or bf mud t/a Km all would be in 31 " by the way . any thought would be appreciated man

I can only speak from what I have used and have seen used. I have had several sets of BFG's both AT/MT's over the last 10 years. Great tires that will give you 40-60,000 miles. So, I would say go with them. As for the Mickey Thompson's, had them on my lifted Bronco II in high school, they only lasted about 15,000 miles and were shot. bald for the most part. So I say spend your money and get more bang for the buck.

I just installed a set of Mickey Thompson's Baja Belted on my 96 XJ. They are 29X11.5 R15s and they are definitely a pretty rough and ready off road tire. They hum at about 45 mph onward from what I have tested. The tires are killers off road though, as you can see I am only 2wd but I went with one of my friends who has a Bronco (full-size) and I was able to go everywhere he went when he was running in 4wd. I have heard really good things about the BFG ATs for being a good balance.

Jamie

The only reason I would ever run the baja belteds would be if I was desert racing. I think they completely suck for everything else. The bfg mt's are gonna be your best bet out of the tires you posted.

The mtr's are gonna be a better tire if you don't like to listen to your tires hum after a while. I'm not a big fan of the mtr's, but they'd suit you pretty well I'd imagine.

Sean

I have had the MT radial MTX's in the 32x11.5 variety for almost two years. With 40,000+ miles on them I still have plenty of tread to spare. I have found them to be a good all around tire. They have provided better than I expected traction in snow and sand and fling mud better than other ATs. The compound isn't as sticky as I would like for the granite (thats why I got the TSLs), but served my purposes well.

They do run small though. My 32s measured more like 30.75 on 15x8 rim.

Back