• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering moan/groan?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '00 XJ 4x4, 4.0, auto, 231 that occasionally makes a strange noise when turning the steering wheel to the left. It's not the classic power steering pump whine, but it sounds more like a component of the steering system in not lubricated. The noise doesn't occur every time and when it does, it is a quick "groan" type sound.

I just asked the dealer and he said it sounds like the power steering pump is going bad and the noise is actually the fluid cavitating inside the pump. About two months ago, I lost the power steering due to lack of fluid, but there are absolutely no leaks in the system that I could find. My guess is that the reservior was not completely filled from the start. Yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of not checking it as often as I should. :( I added the appropriate power steering fluid and all seemed fine. Then about a month ago, this noise shows up. Do you all have any ideas on suggestions?

Thanks.

Brian

mmmmm...my 2000 does the same. I've always had plenty of fluid and no steering problems. WIll be interested to see if anyone else has this problem.

Odd groan on slow left runs.........

Try this

Try Lucas Power Steering Pump Fluid. It's a white bottle in the parts stores. It helps to restore seals and stop the whines. About 5-8 dollars depending where you look for it. I have used it several times before, once a honda that would wake up the dead with the whines. Changed the fluids/Put in Lucas, ran it for a few miles/ problem solved.

GW204,

About the time your XJ was built Chrysler was changing over from Power steering fluid to ATF in their power steering systems because of the grown. It might be worth a trip to the parts guys at the dealer to see what they show your XJ uses.

You can flush to change out the fluid incase something had cuased it to deteriorate. You will just disconnect the return hose at the reservoir and route it to the ground. The procedure is in any aftermarket shop manual.

You may be a canidate for ATF in your steering system.

Martin

My 98 groans in the winter then quiets down after it warms up. Sometimes it groans on full lock either left or right, did it yesterday when my daughter was pulling out from between some trees onto a gravel path, in 4lo 1st gear. It has done it since new.

how in the world did a '00 run that low on power steering fluid? not to jump to conclusions, but that would make me think something is wrong with power steering system.

Just another data point... my '00 does that sometimes as well. Build date: mid-December 1999. I've only noticed it on near-lock turns... and, quite possibly, only LEFT... but I ain't paid THAT much attention to it...

Den

Me too: 2001 Sport, 2 door, 4.0, AW4, NV242, UpCountry, tow package.

I've noticed it basically since new. Repeated complaints to dealer bring "unable to duplicate." But, as you have stated, I am realizing that it is full lock, low speed, left turn, like pulling into or out of a parking space when I hear the sound.

I would love to get this figured out soon. I'm at 33k; warranty is up at 36k.

Thanks

There is a TSB about this. It's the P.S. hoses coming into contact with each other at the P.S. pump. The remedy is to loosen the high and low pressure hose fittings and slightly angle them away from each other. Maintain a minimum of .125" space between the hoses (don't move them too far apart) and retorque the fittings to 17 ft.lbs.

If you lost fluid you have a leak, I missed that part on the first post. I have had my 98 since Dec of 97 and have not had to add a drop of fluid.
However, I did notice while slaloming some cones in an impromtu assembly in a parking lot that I lost my PS completely after about the 5th cone and it took about 5 seconds for it to come back.

Back