• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mile marker winches

Re: Mile marker

red91inWA said:
for what ?? Consider you get what you pay for.

I want to get a nice winch I saw 9000i warn in 730$ and 9500 mile marker in 600$ with a free 2500 atv winch, so I want to know the opinions of naxja people

JulioCesar said:
I want to get a nice winch I saw 9000i warn in 730$ and 9500 mile marker in 600$ with a free 2500 atv winch, so I want to know the opinions of naxja people

for the money I'd go with warn. Unless you really need the ATV winch.

JulioCesar said:
thanks a lot my friend for your help

Mile marker seems to be the Bottom end of things. A buddy up in Seatlle tells me that Ramsey, who I have a winch from ( not currently installed) is a PITA for support, or to get parts from.

Warn, however, is widely recognized, easy to work with, and parts are easily available for most, if not all of the products they sell.

Yeah so you save $130.00 and get a really light weight extra. Sometimes the extra money you pony up in the end saves your arss.

I talked to a distributor a while back, I asked him what was best. Except for the Warn 8274, he said that most all the brands are equal or comprible. With that, I asked why the discreptency in price? He sais it's got to do with marketing. The west is Warn, Ransey in the Southeast, and Mile Marker in the midwest and north. Each company is trying to get into the others market. He also told me that the bigger companies are importing winches from China and marketing them under different brand names than the parent companies. Just my 2 cents.

save a little longer for the warn....you'll be glad you did

Rev Den said:
For the record...I would not buy a MM electric. I love the hydro, but if I were going electric I would go Warn.

Rev

Rev, what are you running the hydro winch from. I've gotten by for a long time w/out a winch. But I keep coming back to the hydro from the cost, weight, and durability point. What are your impressions from using it in various situations?

explorer said:
Rev, what are you running the hydro winch from. I've gotten by for a long time w/out a winch. But I keep coming back to the hydro from the cost, weight, and durability point. What are your impressions from using it in various situations?

1st...My experiance is in mud and uphills, with very little steering effort involved, not on rocks.

I run the MM 10.5K off the stock PS pump and have been very happy with its performance. It is slow, but very strong and will not overheat. I have not experianced any 1st hand issues with steering while winching.

Rev

Anyone else out there prefer or own a hydro winch? I was also leaning towards the hydro setup vs electric. Any other opinions out there?

I have 2 in my collection, but haven't used either one yet. One is a 10,500 2-speed once owned by Beezil the Great, and the other is an old 9000 single speed. I have a problem with collecting jeep parts. Admitting that is my first step towards recovery, right? (No pun intended)

Last edited:
Rev Den said:
1st...My experiance is in mud and uphills, with very little steering effort involved, not on rocks.

I run the MM 10.5K off the stock PS pump and have been very happy with its performance. It is slow, but very strong and will not overheat. I have not experianced any 1st hand issues with steering while winching.

Rev

Is yours a two speed? If so what is the pull like in high gear? I would be using it in pretty much the same terrain as you.

If your Jeep ever stalls, deep water etc., your hydro will not work, you are toast...Alot of times you will also need to upgrade your steering pump for it to work well... Now your talking way more expensive than a electric...GO WARN...

This gets into a whole list of reasons why one or the other is better. Part of why I don't have a winch yet. The speed, for me, isn't much of an issue. I'm not in any hurry when I'm stuck typically. The cost of other equipment is just that. Modding the pump or using a standalone pump cost money. So does running multiple Optima batteries, or high output alternators to get better performance from an electric. I guess what keeps bringing me back to the hydro is the durability and duty cycle. I've been in water over the frt. fenders with the engine running. I'd rather have something that can pull me the full length of cable without worrying about melting cables or batteries.

Rock.Wgn said:
If your Jeep ever stalls, deep water etc., your hydro will not work, you are toast...Alot of times you will also need to upgrade your steering pump for it to work well... Now your talking way more expensive than a electric...GO WARN...

Same for an electric...without the engine running you might be able to winch 10 ft if lucky before a dead battery.....Ive tested with my winch...The xj factory steering pump is more than adequate to handle the MM hydo winches...a good friend has had it on his for 6 years and uses quite often.

I run a 2-speed 9000lb MM hydraulic. Line speed is slow, and doesn't speed up much when not under load. Pulling myself uphill through snowdrifts several feet deep takes forever, but there's no electric motor to burn. I'd recommend an electric regardless because of the ease of install and use. To change speeds on the hydro, the line shouldn't be under tension, and of course it must be done manually at the winch. It can be frustrating to have the tension let up while going slowly just enough for all the cable to start unwrapping and expanding while on the drum, while an electric would speed up some to maintain tension.

Anyone know how to modify a 97+ PS pump for higher flow? Is that thing a saginaw style?

Also consider if your bumper has enough clearance to access those lines. I couldn't imagine trying to install one into an ARB winch bumper as easily as this was:
DSCF0020.jpg

Last edited:
Back