• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake/Shifter reverse safety switch...

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
I was wondering if anyone had abandoned the switch thats on the brake arm? The one that won't let you go into reverse or out of park without depressing the brake pedel. Personally I find this thing annoying.
Any ideas on how to bypass it?
Thanks ....
Curt (Xtreme XJ)

i havent looked at it but it is only a cable, i dont know what year they started coming from the factory like that but it was a recall that the dealer installed. it cant be too difficult.. thats another thing on my "to do" list
mike

[cut and paste from previous post with minor edits]

Probably of dubious safety and/or legality, but you can just take the whole brake-shift-interlock relay out. Had to do it with mine - half the time it wouldn't unlock even when I hit the brake pedal, got very annoying. Will take it back to the dealer one of these days... and if any of this is damaging something else without me knowing yet, please tell me :D

Instructions from an '88: Follow the wiring (pink and black/blue) from your brake light switch connector back into another connector that should look very similar and have wires running back into the main under-dash wire loom - this is the real brake light connector. Take out the extra spade terminals and plug it straight into the brake switch, so you'll have your brake lights back. Follow the wires from the extra connector back to a black relay-looking box probably cable-tied to your steering column; this will have five wires going to it: one gray/black from the fuse box, the two from the brake switch and two more white wires going into a cylinder in-line with the shift-lock cable - probably right behind your gas pedal linkage. Disconnect all these at their respective connectors and you should be back to the factory shift system without the brake-pedal interlock.

Back