• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to run antenna cable

fumble

NAXJA Forum User
Those of you who have your CB antenna mounted on the back of your XJ, where do you run your cable from the interior to the exterior? The mount that I purchased will use the bolt from the tail lense. Any pics as well as description, would be greatly apprecitated!

Thanks,

Dan

where did you get the mount from? and how much was it?
Sorry, anyhow, your best bet in my opinion is to run it along the floor. Pull up the plastic trim pieces and snug it in there to avoid physical damage. Try to keep it away from any power wires, bc they can cause interference.

fumble said:
Those of you who have your CB antenna mounted on the back of your XJ, where do you run your cable from the interior to the exterior? The mount that I purchased will use the bolt from the tail lense.

Heh, I see we shop at the same fashionable antenna mount botique ;)

How you run the cable is going to depend on the location of your CB. Here's how I did mine:

- Installed a Cobra 75 WX ST in the center console as shown here.

- Took a trip to Radio Shack for a right-angle adapter, feedthrough adapter (for use on the mount), and 20' of RG-58 cabling.

- Used the right-angle adapter on the antenna connector at the transmitter so that the antenna cabling wouldn't interfere with the handbrake.

- Ran the antenna cable through the centre console to the front of the vehicle. Zip-tied it down above the pedals, then dropped it down into the kick panel housing the hood release.

- From there, ran it back through the sill trim (removing each panel as I went) to the driver's side rear fender.

- Popped out the large grommet behind the tail light and made a hole in it, feeding the antenna cable through. At this point I probably had about 2' of excess cabling.

- Fit the antenna mount per the included instructions.

- Attached the feedthrough adapter, screwed the antenna cable down to it, pushed the excess cabling back into the fender through the grommet.

Took about an hour (the CB was already in the console), and it's been working great ever since. I still need to reseal the grommet properly and make a gasket for the tail light (it gets a bit of wind whistle at speed with the antenna on), but other than that it was pretty painless. Oh, and Radio Shack's 4' fibreglass antenna is virtually the same as the Firestik FS-4 - tunable tip and all. It also fits nicely under the back seat when not in use.

Last edited:
I have the same antenna mount pretty much ran mine the same way except i have my cb mounted between the visors on this mount.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/
i like the right angle adapter though my coax on the radio hits the windsheild.

I mounted my CB like rocklizards did, above the rearview mirror. Ran the cable and power wires out the hole used for the remote entry system (took out the the little black plastic thing). The CB cable was ran above the headliner and came down the back under all of the plastic cargo area covers, then exited at the bottom (pic). With the tailgate shut you can't even see the cable, it goes behind the bumper and mounts easily to the antenna.
(Pic is not my jeep)
cargo.jpg

Back