• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am i doing it the right way?

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it seems a little hard to remove a TC from an xj, am i doing something wrong? or is this a normal procedure.. ? Please advise.. because that seems like a fuc*ing pain in the Ass! to get these loose...!!!

tc2.jpg

tc.jpg

jerrywagner said:
Forget about using WD-40, get some PB Blaster and soak it, I would recommend a 6 point socket and 1/2 inch breaker bar
Have you taken a tcase off a tranny before? IIRC about half the bolts you can't get a socket with a ratchet on. Anyways, long wrenches is the way to go, then after you break them loose, a ratchet wrench is nice, but not necessary.

no, i havent not on an XJ, i did that on a YJ but that was a breaze comparing to what im seeing on the xj, so the ones with the wrench on it are the right ones?
btw... how heavy is this sucker...? can i lower it by myself? or need to borrow a hand?

Last edited:
See the nut above the wrench? i cant do anything with that, what would you recommend to do/use? a grinder with a huge cut-off wheel :p ? j/k ... the one the tool is sittin on in the picture moves freely and quite easy:)

Purple said:
See the nut above the wrench? i cant do anything with that, what would you recommend to do/use? a grinder with a huge cut-off wheel :p ? j/k ... the one the tool is sittin on in the picture moves freely and quite easy:)
A wrench half a degree of a turn at a time. AFter you break it loose you use the open end rotate it to get a bit more turn each time.

Purple said:
no, i havent not on an XJ, i did that on a YJ but that was a breaze comparing to what im seeing on the xj, so the ones with the wrench on it are the right ones?
btw... how heavy is this sucker...? can i lower it by myself? or need to borrow a hand?

Couple of things:

Keep a floor jack under the tranny. With the DS off, you can lower it a bit to give yourself more room to work. Obviously, the cross-member has to be taken off, too. Be prepared to wrestle about 65 lbs IIRC when you pull it off. It isn't too bad. I am not a big guy, and I was able to do it just fine. Also, if you are re-building it, break the front yoke nut loose before you take it off the trans.

im not sure if i will be doing the whole thing(150km!?) ocassional 4wheeling, also nothing too hard core, some rocks, little of mud and snow... The whole thing works, but it is noisy (bearing?) i know how a stretched chain sounds, and its not that. Also when i removed the DSs and the xmember, i turned-spinned my front yoke with hand, and it is NOT quiet, obviously im unable to spin it at 60km/h speed but i think it makes that sound.... 1" 1/8 for the front yoke?

got all the bolts/nuts off except the one on the top of the passanger side.... if i knew the guy who designed the powertrain of an xj i would ask him to take all these off in 10 mins and then if he wouldnt chop all his fingers off. Im not a patient man if you can figure it out from this post. These nuts/bolts are a F**king PITA. When removed 4 i noticed ATF dripping fromsomewhere where the tranny mount is-where these two join..

Purple said:
got all the bolts/nuts off except the one on the top of the passanger side.... if i knew the guy who designed the powertrain of an xj i would ask him to take all these off in 10 mins and then if he wouldnt chop all his fingers off. Im not a patient man if you can figure it out from this post. These nuts/bolts are a F**king PITA. When removed 4 i noticed ATF dripping fromsomewhere where the tranny mount is-where these two join..
With the trnasmission sitting on a bench, that's about all it takes.

Stuff it under a vehicle, and build a car around it, and things get difficult.

As for the leaking ATF, that's either the rear seal of the tranny, or front seal of the t-case....and hopefully not a crack. :)

Calm down, drink a beer, and whe done, you'll be calm.

lol, thats what i usually do:p but when im done with it, i cant do anything... with both eyes open:pPPPPPPP i have to close one:) as for anything cracked... i would say thats highly unlikely since i dont do anything extreme with the jeep
BUT.... we will see soon:) once i come down more, ill get back to the garage:p

is adding a Lucas to a TC ... a good thing?

There are a couple of nuts behind that bracket that can be a pain. I use a long extension, (20" or so" and a swivel and loosen them from the front by sliding the extension behind the bracket. Mine is a cobbled together rig from multiple sources so my bracket might be a bit different. Now don't forget the nut up under and behind the vibration dampener on the bottom.

I also use a set of stubby wrenches to ease getting to the other nuts.

Yeah the T Case is 60lbs. I actually weighed mine for the hell of it. I didn't have any problems getting mine in/out.

I have pulled T Cases out of my ZJ so many times I can do it in under 20 mins. :)

jerrywagner said:
Forget about using WD-40, get some PB Blaster and soak it,

PB blaster is great stuff. Have used it time and again, yesterday for rusted on bolts and brakeline from wheel cylinders and today to dissasemble a 30 year old natural gas pipe to the hot tub heater exposed to year round weather so I could replace the valve. I still have the same can from 4 years ago since a little goes so far. Just don't get it on any painted or rubber parts as, its corrosive and dissolves stuff.

Back