• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

erg valve??

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
ok well tomarrow my parents mechanic/friend is gonna check my erg valve b.c i keep failing emissions on nox. if the valve is bad i will replace it myself. but i here after a while the just get stuck open. is there any way to take it off, get it in working order (like lubing it up) then putting it back in or do i need to buy a new one. id reather not get a new one bb/c im on a 16 yr old budget

ok well tomarrow my parents mechanic/friend is gonna check my erg valve b.c i keep failing emissions on nox. if the valve is bad i will replace it myself. but i here after a while the just get stuck open. is there any way to take it off, get it in working order (like lubing it up) then putting it back in or do i need to buy a new one.

The culprit is often carbon and other crap that comes out of the exhaust and sticks them up. But you may need a new one.

The EGR is a pain to get to - but you can check to see if the diaphragm is shot without pulling the valve.

Take a hand vacuum pump and attach it to the valve port. Watch the diaphragm under the valve and watch to see it if moves. Keep the vacuum on the valve and watch the diaphragm, for 30 seconds - it should not move.

If the diaphragm does not move when you pull a vacuum on it, or leaks down, replace the valve. If alles gut you can pull the valve, clean it, and try again.

Check actual function by pulling a vacuum on the valve at idle, the engine should stumble or quit entirely.

Typically, failing NOx indicates that the EGR valve is not opening (with the way these things are tuned at the factory...) so that's where I'd start. The EGR port should be cleaned while you've got it open, since it gets all crapped up over time...

5-90

5-90 said:
The EGR is a pain to get to - but you can check to see if the diaphragm is shot without pulling the valve.

Take a hand vacuum pump and attach it to the valve port. Watch the diaphragm under the valve and watch to see it if moves. Keep the vacuum on the valve and watch the diaphragm, for 30 seconds - it should not move.

If the diaphragm does not move when you pull a vacuum on it, or leaks down, replace the valve. If alles gut you can pull the valve, clean it, and try again.

Check actual function by pulling a vacuum on the valve at idle, the engine should stumble or quit entirely.

Typically, failing NOx indicates that the EGR valve is not opening (with the way these things are tuned at the factory...) so that's where I'd start. The EGR port should be cleaned while you've got it open, since it gets all crapped up over time...

5-90

Some of the earlier ones (for example my old 87) have a back pressure valve built into the diaphragm (the later ones have a separate piece). If you have the earlier one-piece type, it will not operate reliably with a vacuum pump, and a good one will fail the usual test for diaphragm leakage, because the diaphragm is designed to leak until exhaust backpressure closes the valve.

ok.......what should i clean the port with. throttle body cleaner? i have starting fluid laying around, will that be ok to use or should i wait and get the right stuff?

Back