• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Light Offroader, selectable locker or LSD?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
what are you thoughts?

i do the occasional Offroading, BUT would like to get into some descent trials...

i have a good hill i climb to go flying every weekend and as it warms up the hill is getting slipperier and would like to get a selectable locker or LSD for my xj...

its a 89 with D35 rear, d30 front, 31" geolander A/T's, and 3" procomp lift... its my Daily driver and dont want a full locker all the time... any idea's on brands would be helpful too. thanks

JOe

Personally I would spend the money on getting rid of the D35. I don't feel it's worthy of either. :)

Depends on what you want to get into. If your going to spend the money to take it appart and have the extra cash to go selectable I would do that. It's only a few hundred more plus a compressor or cable.

Put a selectable in the front and leave the rear end open until the time comes to throw it away.

agreed cant wait until i can get my rear junk out, but if so looking to a used locker

don't waste your money on an limited slip, unless you can get a gear driven one. AFAIK the only gear driven limited slips come in the rubi rear locker (when unlocked) and the electrac (when unlocked). It's too bad you can't just get a gear LS because they are almost as good as a locker, and perfect for not wheelin too much.

That being said, just get an aussie locker.

mjma said:
don't waste your money on an limited slip, unless you can get a gear driven one. AFAIK the only gear driven limited slips come in the rubi rear locker (when unlocked) and the electrac (when unlocked). It's too bad you can't just get a gear LS because they are almost as good as a locker, and perfect for not wheelin too much.

What rock have you been hiding under,ever here of a Detroit Tru-trac!

mjma said:

+1 I have an LSD traclock in the rear of my XJ, pretty much no help at all when wheeling unless you hold the brake, then not much even if you do that.

The LSD does help lots on the street in foul weather (water/snow).

I've got an ARB selectable in the front and it kicks ass.

the dana 35 is fine. obviously its not that strong, and there are MUCH better options out there, but time and money all play a role in swapping it out. i have the D35, 32's and 4.56's and it hasn't broke yet. when it does then worry about it. he's only running 31's with stock gears? that being said, i would go ARB air locker, or OX (cable actuacted). both are very reliable and very strong. Detroit also makes an excellent locker, and its really not bad in the street. you get used to it very quickly and its definately cheaper. i just realized the original post was a while ago, he probably already bought something. wonder what it was.

If your going to spend your money on an ABR then by an ARB for the front Dana 30 but I wouldn't spend money on a D-35. Save your money and find a XJ D-44 I scored a deal on one last year with spool and 4.88 gears. If you look you will find one too.

Last edited:
I have an Auburn LSD in the rear. It works great. I have good success with it on and off road. It holds well in the rough stuff. I sometimes need a little brakes when I am majorly twisted up. I had a lockrite and broke it 3 times while towing my boat, I have a 5 sp and lockrites don't like all the shock of shifting while towing, so I bought the Auburn. It has been a good investment. HTH.

BA

Yes I agree that the dana 35 is probably adequate, if you break it then you should upgrade. But I still would not spend as much as an arb for it. Unless you are opposed to the noises a lunchbox locker is a cheaper solution. My ez-locker was $275.

although the D35 isnt as weak as people believe i would throw $$ at it unless its a lock-right. find an 8.25 rear from a 99-01 XJ, get an Auburn in it and never worry about it again. a D44 is a nice idea but not worth holding your breath for, i scored one that i'm spooling. :gag:

KingOfTheHill said:
what are you thoughts?
Here's the question I would ask before spending any money on either. Does the rig do what you want to do and does it go where you want to go? If the answer is yes, then why bother pending the money?

i do the occasional Offroading, BUT would like to get into some descent trials...
I would try some of those trails first and see how the rig performs first. If I'm not happy, or my friends are spending toomuch time strapping me along, then I would certainly make some changes.

i have a good hill i climb to go flying every weekend and as it warms up the hill is getting slipperier and would like to get a selectable locker or LSD for my xj...
The ARB lockers are among the best there are, but those air hoses can become pesky far too often. The Detroit TruTrac is a gear driven LSD. Factory LSD are okay for about 50,000 miles before their clutch packs wear out. Auburn also makes a LSD but it too used clutches that will eventually wear out. However, Auburn just recently released the ECTED™ locker for Dana 30 and 35 axles. It's an electrically selectable locker.

its a 89 with D35 rear, d30 front, 31" geolander A/T's, and 3" procomp lift... its my Daily driver and dont want a full locker all the time...
Most agree that the Dana 35 is a weak axle and putting a locker in it is just asking for trouble. Most would suggest replacing the 35 with a Dana 44 rather than waste money on a weak axle.

I was lucky enough to get a brand new Detroit TruTrac LSD for my Dana 35 for only $100. I had it installed when I regeared to 4"10s. I personally, would not install a locker in the 35. It's just asking for trouble and carnage.

I plan on having the ECTED installed in the front Dana 30 and then leaving well enough alone.

Back