• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is this thing bolted to the side of my 5-spd. trans and why is it squeaking?

caspergotaz28

NAXJA Forum User
The best way to describe the squeak is like a straw sliding through a plastic mcdonalds lid. It's barely noticeable in the morning, but after about 50 clutch pushes it is pretty loud. I know it is a part of the clutch and the fluid pushes the piston within it.

What is this piece called?
About how much does it cost?
How do you replace it?
If it involves bleeding the clutch, how do I do that?

This is a '94 Cherokee 2WD 5-spd.

here is a pic of it....
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10620/clutch_squeeky_thing.jpg

If it is the lower end of the clutch hydraulics, it is the "Slave Cylinder" and is responsible for getting the pressure plate to disengage from the clutch disc and flywheel. I don't remember if it's "internal" (inside the bellhousing) or "external" (on the side, and working thru a lever or "fork") on the 94, so that's something to check. If it's external, there is a pivot for the fork that may want lubrication.

Bleeding the clutch is like bleeding the brakes - just a little hollow screw at the top of the slave cylinder or somewhere higher than the highest point and on an extension pipe, for the internals, but that usually doesn't cause noise (just a soft or spongy pedal.) Bleeding is typically required when A) changing hydraulics (master cylinder, slave cylinder, or hose) or B) when changing fluid (since it uses DOT3 brake fluid, which is hygroscopic. You should change the fluid every two years - and it's easy with a vacuum bleed kit. Change your brake fluid while yer at it.)

5-90

5-90 said:
Bleeding the clutch is like bleeding the brakes - just a little hollow screw at the top of the slave cylinder or somewhere higher than the highest point and on an extension pipe, for the internals, but that usually doesn't cause noise (just a soft or spongy pedal.) Bleeding is typically required when A) changing hydraulics (master cylinder, slave cylinder, or hose) or B) when changing fluid (since it uses DOT3 brake fluid, which is hygroscopic. You should change the fluid every two years - and it's easy with a vacuum bleed kit. Change your brake fluid while yer at it.)

5-90
If it's external it is SELF BLEEDING! There is a nipple that looks like a bleed point, but if you mess with it, you will damage the line.

Kejtar said:
If it's external it is SELF BLEEDING! There is a nipple that looks like a bleed point, but if you mess with it, you will damage the line.
External ones from the early years ARE able to be bled.

And, also need a special way.

You must remove the slave from the bellhousing, and COMPRESS the piston with a c-clamp before bleeding, or you will NEVER get all the air out.

I fought that for a week.

Back