• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 brake shoes availability?

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
So I went and tried to buy some shoes for the XJ 44 I'm swapping in. Two places (Checker, Napa) told me no shoes available for that application - the Napa guy even swore up and down that the 44 was never in an XJ :rolleyes:

I measured the drum (inside diameter) at 11" - this means I need shoes listed as 11", right?

Finally the Carquest guy found what I believe is the right size (11"x2") under the Grand Waggy listings. Anyone else have trouble with parts places not listing the 44 stuff with the rest of the XJ parts? Should I just ask for Waggy 44 stuff next time I need parts?

Or, am I the dummy who's asking for the wrong parts (not the first time)?

Last edited:
ColoCherokees said:
So I went and tried to buy some shoes for the XJ 44 I'm swapping in. Two places (Checker, Napa) told me no shoes available for that application - the Napa guy even swore up and down that the 44 was never in an XJ :rolleyes:

I measured the drum (inside diameter) at 11" - this means I need shoes listed as 11", right?

Finally the Carquest guy found what I believe is the right size (11"x2") under the Grand Waggy listings. Anyone else have trouble with parts places not listing the 44 stuff with the rest of the XJ parts? Should I just ask for Waggy 44 stuff next time I need parts?

Or, am I the dummy who's asking for the wrong parts (not the first time)?

Backdoor the parts guy. Tell him you need them for a 87 Comanche PU. See what they say..

I'll look up part #'s when I get home. I bought shoes at Napa back in January

I had a 69 willys custom with twin d44's and they were a witch to get shoes for. Finally had to send out my old backing plates and have them redone. Those shoes were big and wide. The willys I had was an ex-military vehicle so that might have been part of the problem... drums were another story, got two new sets from an army surplus store out on harrisburg..

Are you certain you measured correctly? The XJ D44 brakes should be 10 x 2-1/2. I've never heard of an XJ with 11" rear brakes, not even one of the old AMC Model 20s in the 86 MJ.

Eagle beat me to it... the few 44s ive seen have been 10 X 2-1/2. The computers at Autozone (not saying they are always right...) say 10 X 2-1/2. The 44 I just pulled from the 87 I bought was the same. I got lifetime warrenty brakes from autozone for $17. Duralast part number 481... Comes up the same no matter what year you have, also the same for the MJ.

Justin

When I bought new brake shoes for my 88MJ they asked if I had 10x2.5" or 10x1.75".....after some research I found out that D35s have 1.75" and D44 have 2.5" rear shoes. If I were you I wouldn't even mention the D44 and see if they ask yu what size.

every time i get rear shoes the place i go doesnt list the axles.. just the sizes... makes it a real PIA sometimes...

Autozone's system usually lists the axles. But since the majority of the DIY type customers barely know what motor they have, they list the sizes too so atleast they can measure. For the XJ/MJ, the system has a choice between a SPICER 44, and a DANA/SPICER 35. Why its not listed as a DANA 44 Im not sure... Ill have to put a note in out system to get it changed.

Justin

jeeppowermj, you want people with d44's to NOT mention that they have d44's? that's the first thing i tell people about when someone asks about my jeep! if you were lucky enough to get a d44'd xj/mj brag about it!

Thanks for the info guys. I'll remeasure the drums - I know enough not to wrench while on Vicodin, but I thought maybe using a tape measure would be safe to do. Guess not.

Just for fun, what visually would distinguish an XJ44 from say, a Waggy 44? The shock mounts look right, it's 5 lug (didn't measure the circle), diff is centered, and it's sprung over. I didn't pull it out of the donor vehicle myself, so I suppose anything's possible.

A Grand Wagoneer/full-size Cherokee D44 will be 6 lug, with 7/16" lugs instead of 1/2" like on an XJ.

You are measuring INSIDE diameter of the drums, right? That's what the size is based on.

uvaldetxj said:
jeeppowermj, you want people with d44's to NOT mention that they have d44's? that's the first thing i tell people about when someone asks about my jeep! if you were lucky enough to get a d44'd xj/mj brag about it!

No I menat if your shopping for rear brakes not to mention it to see what they have.......If you say you have a D44 and they are saying they never came with one I would think they wouldn't search as hard.........trust me if I had a D44 under my MJ thats the first thing I'd brag about too, well next to my home made cowl hood.

Back