• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Permanent Magnet Winches? good or bad?

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at winches and dont know much about them, but I've read about people not liking permanent magnet winches, however I haven't been able to figure out why. Anyone have an opinion? I'm looking at the Ramsey 8000lb electric winch...anyone have any comments on that winch? Any comments on Ramsey?

Ramsey is good. It will pull your Jeep out of a mud hole. Superwinch is good. Warn is good. There is a new Aussie winch out there that has had good reviews. Actually there are several inexpensive Chinese winches that got good reviews in Four Wheeler magazine last year. There are even hydraulic winches.

Personally, it depends on your use and your budget.

It'll mostly be used for pulling myself out of mud holes, over stumps and logs, and pulling friends out of the same situations. I (like I'm sure everyone else would) would prefer a Warn winch, however, I cannot afford it. So, I found a Ramsey 8,000lb winch at Northern Equiptment for 400 and I'm just thinking I dont want to spend the money on crap equiptment. How do I know how much pulling power I will need?

53guy said:
I'm looking at winches and dont know much about them, but I've read about people not liking permanent magnet winches, however I haven't been able to figure out why. Anyone have an opinion? I'm looking at the Ramsey 8000lb electric winch...anyone have any comments on that winch? Any comments on Ramsey?

It is a good durable winch...not very fast but will serve you well

53guy said:
How do I know how much pulling power I will need?
Most "authorities" (meaning magazine writers who bought a sales rep a cup of coffee) recommend 1-1/2 times your gross vehicle weight. A trail-ready XJ probably weighs approximately 4,000 pounds, so a 6,000 pound winch would be enough. In fact, the factory hidden winch option, when it was available, was offered in 5,000 and 6,000 pound capacities.

Most people these days seem to choose 8,000 to 9,000 pound, though, for the extra safety factor, and because they pull faster.

Back