• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to grease CV

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys do to grease the CV on the front Drive shaft. I have a 90 and the best I've thought of is to have it off and use a needle type attachement on the grease gun and shoot grease down into the CV around the rubber boot typr deal for the top.

Tom

CV? I thought the XJ only had u-joints. I just replaced mine and are greasable so have the nipple on them for doing this. I'm not sure exactly how to properly be able to grease a non-greaseable without taking it out to get the grease inside of it.

on the upper side of the driveshaft on the front there are the two U joints in that kinda "case". inside that is the CV, mine has started to sound dry and until I get a new one I want to just try to pack it with grease to slow the wear/quiet it.

Tom

There's a zerc (SP?) fitting for it on the front piece. Use a regular grease gun. That'll fix you up. To get the ujoints, there's a tiny screw on one of the caps. Use a very thin flat head screwdriver to get that out. Then, use a "needle fitting" for your grease gun (not exactly sure what size it was) and pump the grease into the ujoint until it breaks the seal on all four caps. Hope that helps dude.

From an engineering stand point, ujoints with a grease fitting are weaker when put under stress.

From a manufacturers point of view, a greasable ujoint is more expensive to manufactuer (even if it's a penny per unit). Most of the general driving public don't grease them so they fail any way.

Back in the late sixties and early seventies when the non greasable were introduced, we would disassemble the ujoints and repack them. You can still do the same thing today, but most would just as soon replace as repack.

I'm sure you'll get some other views.

From what I can see with the u joint off, there are no zirc fittings anywhere, for the ujoints or the cv. The cy just has the rubber boot thing, Im gonna go check now for those little screws but I dont recall seeing anything like that.

I found the little screws and got them out and yeah they look dry in there. I will get some grease into those. Now I just need to figure out greasing on the CV part.

Back