• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Breaks Lock Up

MUDDOG

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 90 XJ...Iv been driving for 3 weeks now & the rear breaks have lockd up twice on...what could be causing this???...Its the E break thats doing it But I dont use it

Thanks

I would like to know about this as well. mine have recently started locking up the minute I apply the brakes, when they are wet (like after I wash it), or it's been sitting outside in the rain for a while. About a mile or so with the e-brake on slightly to heat them up takes care of it. But it's really hard to stop when I first take off. The exact minute I put my foot on the brakes, they lock up and the pedal goes to the floor.

Any input is appreciated.

No idea but every xj i've had has locked up on wet conditions.

Oh and a p.s. I'm on my 4th so my guess would be just the nature of the vehical

I can't say I'd really know being new to my jeep and cars in general, but could the problem be with the cylinders? Had a lot of strange things with my drivers side one as it was totally seized up.

If it's the emergency brake, maybe the line is too tight? I adjusted mine as they weren't working and went a little too much and caused them to lock up on me. Eased back a bit and all was fine. May not be your case, but just a couple thoughts.

Hope ya get it worked up.

Its an XJ thing... been written up b4 best thing you can do is get good brakes (Raybestos PG PLus) and lube all the goodies back there correctly and wel... when it does it a few good hits on the brakes and a crank or two on the e brake mends it...

its just an xj thing

Mine had a tendancy to lock up, turned out to be a leaky wheel cylinder. The brake fluid was dribbling onto the shoes and they would lock up pretty easy. Was worse when it was wet, brake fluid bonds with water.

No leaks & clean,& good breaks....I know when I do go to pull on the Ebreak leaver its VERY tight I moght just disconnect it I really dont need it...

Thanks for the info..

I'd have to check the FSM to confirm, but my recollection is that the parking brake is supposed to be adjusted to require 5 clicks to set it fully.

The brake lock-up when the brakes are damp is very characteristic of XJs. I believe it is a function of the organic materials used in the linings swelling slightly from the moisture. Only way to test that theory is to replace with semi-metallic or carbon fiber shoes at the next brake change, which I intend to do when that rolls around, but hopefully I have a few more months left on the brakes before I'd due to replace.

On the lockup problem...

One thing to check out is the parking brake cables. I've gone through two passenger side cables, the first one when I was still at stock height. Do you notice any dragging while driving, as if you still have the brakes applied? It's possible that one of your wheels has the brakese partly on, so when you hit the brakes it catches good.

Here's what it does every day leaving from school....wet or dry, mainly when it's warm outside.......

Idleing through the parkinglot.....brakes are really touchy, meaning i barely hit the pedal and I can almost get whiplash.

Get out on the road, drive down the street, go to stop at the light.....usually get cut off by somebody, and usually have to get on the brakes pretty good. But at this point, the brakes are very weak. Takes much longer to stop.

Keep on going down the road and by now the brakes are good and hot. Will apply the brakes, they start off weak like before, but all of a sudden get real strong w/o me changing the pressure applied to the pedal. They then continue to get strong and weak and strong and weak while slowing down. Once they get really hot, the front brakes start squeeling like a school bus (cheap carmax brakes, everybody i've talked to who bought a car from them had the same squeeling).

Currently I need an alignment....bad. It's pulling to the right pretty bad. I usually have to have the steering wheel turned to about 10 o'clock to drive straight. But I have noticed that it likes to pull even more when I apply the brakes hard when they're hot.......like a sticking caliper.....but sometimes it will try to pull back to the left, other times it will pull harder to the right. One of the previous owners put on a set of ZJ Laredo rims (off of a 95ish model), and I believe my front brakes are over heating due to the fact these wheels were not designed for the XJ.

What are others opinions on this? School is about to be out soon (may 27th....thank god) so I will have some time this summer when i'm not working 2 or more jobs trying to pick up some extra money.....cause right now, I don't have a heck of alot to play with.

Back