• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan control?

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting conflicting information about the fan controls to the AUX fan.

I want to know if the AUX fan is controlled off of the coolant temp sensor in the t-stat housing or somewhere on the radiator tanks...

I am looking for a cheap way to control the on temp of my electric fans now that I have went to the dual fan setup.

Thanks,

JC95

jeepcherokee95 said:
I am getting conflicting information about the fan controls to the AUX fan.

I want to know if the AUX fan is controlled off of the coolant temp sensor in the t-stat housing or somewhere on the radiator tanks...

I am looking for a cheap way to control the on temp of my electric fans now that I have went to the dual fan setup.

Thanks,

JC95

T-stat housing sensor controls it.

Depends on the model year. Newer models is controlled by ECU which reads the sensor on the tstat housing. Older models is controlled directly by the switch in the radiator.

With the newer models, if you unplug the sensor on the tstat housing the fan should start to run and throw a check-engine code. Also, turning on the a/c should start the fan.

Start from checking the fan and then the fan relay and work your way up.

If your rig is a '95 then the control is on the T-Stat housing. Its not a thermal switch but a thermal-resistor that feeds the ECU. Therfore you can't swap it out to a temp switch type.

You can get one of those temp bulbs or snap switches that slide into the radiator fins. Or you can use the stock fan relay signal to control your new relays.

If your handy with electronics maybe you can build a circuit to read the reistance from the stock sensor and trigger your own relays at a paticular value.

Thanks to all who replied!

I do have a 95 country XJ and I was 95% certain that it was controlled at the stat housing.

I was trying to get away from the $40 option of a new controller but guess it won't happen as I am not very electronically inclined.

Thanks again.

JC95

jeepcherokee95 said:
Thanks to all who replied!

I do have a 95 country XJ and I was 95% certain that it was controlled at the stat housing.

I was trying to get away from the $40 option of a new controller but guess it won't happen as I am not very electronically inclined.

Thanks again.

JC95

what exactly are you trying to do?

Back