• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no valve lash on 4.0?

leadfoot77

NAXJA Forum User
ok reinstalling my cylinder head, push rods in with rockers in place and bolts loose. chilton book just says to torque them to 20 ftlbs right there as is.... is this right ?????
steve

That is correct. I recently ran into a problem with stroking my 4.0 to 4.6 because the fellow I bought my parts through sold me a cam for a carburated 4.2/258 instead of a fuel injcted 4.0. The only way to increase the preload on the lifter is with a longer pushrod, I have adjustables. You would do this if your rocker arms are loose at top dead center. The only way to decrease preload on the lifter is by adding shims under the pedastal the rocker arms bolt to. I believe that the preload should be between 40 and 80 thousanths.

I hope this helps, it can be hard to make sense of all this. I believe that there are some conversion kits out there to change over to the adjustable style but they run $500+. Good luck!

Didn't I just answer this question on the OEM Forum? You DID actually read the rules when you signed onto this site, right? The rules you said you read and understand? The rules that say NOT to post the same question on multiple forums?

Back