• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Coil?

Miah

NAXJA Forum User
does this sound like and iginition coil? 2001 xj 4.0 check engine light is on and flashing... the idle is a little rough, then when you put it in gear she strugles alot, if you stomp on the gas it bucks whicked when the tac gets up around 3000. you can drive it (had it up to 80) just need to accelerate really slow... I drive an f150 and an e150 for work that both behaved the same way on a few occasions each time it was a coil... I have heard of a lot of fords having this problem, not jeeps... any thoughts, thanks.
Miah

I tried pulling the codes with the ignition and trip odometer, i got 2.5 once (it didn't do any of the gauge tests) and then the other times (it did all the gauge tests) it just went to the odmometer reading. I'm not sure what 2.5 would refer to if anything.

Miah said:
I tried pulling the codes with the ignition and trip odometer, i got 2.5 once (it didn't do any of the gauge tests) and then the other times (it did all the gauge tests) it just went to the odmometer reading. I'm not sure what 2.5 would refer to if anything.

That method won't work on a 2001; it's just an instrument panel test. See this thread for details. Go to your local Autozone and ask to borrow their OBD-II code reader and pull the codes.

Also try cleaning out the throttle body and IAC sensor... I was having a very similar problem with my 2000 up until this weekend when I did exactly that. Oh, and change the spark plugs at the same time.

I know that key trick doesn't work on newer models, just tried it anyway.... weird having it say 2.5, maybe my one of my gauges is messed up. I'm gonna see if they'll read the real codes at autozone. might have to bring it in to the stealership though, prety busy. figured it was worth a shot seeing if anyone has had a similar problem.

From my days as a Buick mechanic...If the light is flashing...you're doing damage.

3 stages of Check engine light
1. Comes on momentarily /goes off - historic code set - intermitten problem or sudden change in parameters.
2. Light on steady - failed component or system
3. Light continously flashing - component failed and major damage occurring (only saw once with a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor and O2 sensor which caused the cat to plug)

this was GM...not sure if your DC is the same

good luck,
Tom

I went into the stealership today, they said if the light flashes it indicates a problem that could result in a failure, like getting stuck somewhere. They didn't say if it would cause any damage however they did recomomend I drive it as little as possible. The light comes on solid for a little while and then starts flashing.

It was an injector. Any suggestions on a code reader? i was poking around ebay and found some really cheap ones 20.00.... found some that were 80.00+-... i was thinking of picking up one of the more expensive ones.. where is the port? Thanks

Miah said:
It was an injector. Any suggestions on a code reader? i was poking around ebay and found some really cheap ones 20.00.... found some that were 80.00+-... i was thinking of picking up one of the more expensive ones.. where is the port? Thanks
Under the edge of the dash approximately by the driver's right knee.

Back