• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using a washtub

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i was shooting the breeze at work with the bodymen and was asking them about where i could get sheetmetal to redo my wheeltubs. one guy told me to just go get a wash tub and be done with it. cut the ends off and use it. he assured me it would be fine and that is what they use to do on old dirt track cars. i trust him as he knows his stuff but was wanting other opinions and was also just curious if anyone else has ever done this.

Summit Racing Rear Fenderwells
sum-g7910_s.jpg

Tubs at Summit are less than $70 per pair in steel and go from 36"-40" diameter.

(My sister designs magazine covers & parts layouts for Summit.)

I plan on taking the summit route personally...

if i had the money i would, but i dont. does anyone have any links to this process on a 4door. i have only seen finished pictures, only a few of those for htat matter, and would like to have a slightly better idea before just jumping into it

Ramsey said:
one guy told me to just go get a wash tub and be done with it. cut the ends off and use it. he assured me it would be fine and that is what they use to do on old dirt track cars.

The wash tubs have short tapered sides, they may look OK but they are too narrow for modern tires. The fenderwells are much wider (and a sheetmetal shop can make them if you need something out of the ordinary).

BTW, they used to draw pictures of safety cages fabbed from schedule-80 water pipe in the dirt before races too, but somehow technology advanced and we can now buy chrome moly cages from magazines (right next to the prefabricated fenderwell tubs). Respect the advice, trust it as a piece of history to put the advancement of the sport in prospective, but don't forget that things have changed from the days when modified "stock" cars were allowed anywhere near the racetrack other than during the demolition-derby. If you show the guy what is available for order today they might just cough a few more tidbits of historical value?

Back