• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with a 27 spline 8.25

lilmatty

NAXJA Member #1246
I've just acquired a free 27 spline 8.25. Its very complete including brakes and drums.

I'm thinking of swapping it into my 94 XJ, equipping it with a Detroit locker and running it until it breaks. If it breaks. Currently running it with 32" tires on a 4.5" lift.

Seems like a cheap way to get me out of the D35 and into some serious crawling.

Any flaws in the thinking? Bad money? Anything?

Matt

Ot is definatly better than the dana 35. I would suggest maybe upgrading to 29 spline shafts and locker for it.

my 27 spline has had a powertrax no-slip and 31's for two yrs now with lots of mild to mod. wheeling nothing too serious, with no problems....if i was gonna go any bigger i'd up it though

get a detroit for a 29 spline and toss in some shafts and wheel the piss out of it. or just get some dutchmans while your at it since you have to buy new ones anyways(if you upgrade it) do that and it will be a very good axle with the only downside being that youcant gear lower than 4.56s but it will be plenty for 35s if you ever want to go that big

I ran mine with 35's and a lock right two trips to moab
including lower heldorado
and pritchett
moab rim

no problems
course I also had a spare shaft just in case
Im not to heavy on the skinny pedal

but I never backed down from any obstacle
I did snap a 260 u joint on the 35's though

not sure if yoiu have a sye
if not I believe that a shorter or llonger drive shaft is needed

also a zj disk swap is easy to do

Friend installed a 29 spline detroit in his 8.25 that was originally 27 spline, put some 4.56 gears on it, and threw some Yukon 29 spline shafts in. Something to think about if you're going to be putting a detroit in anyway. Just convert it to 29 spline, you can do it with stock shafts from a later 8.25 or aftermarket like the Yukons.

what every one has said. put the 29 spline locker in it grab some shafts and wheel the piss out of it....

jrsxj98 said:
what every one has said. put the 29 spline locker in it grab some shafts and wheel the piss out of it....

X2

yukon makes shafts for it? i thought dutchman was the only one

Ramsey said:
yukon makes shafts for it? i thought dutchman was the only one

Yep, I heard somewhere that dutchman makes them for Yukon but not sure how true that is. I have the dutchmans running 35's and locked for 3 years now with no problems.

stock 29 spline locked w/33s and give it hell and it holds up just fine. going to get dutchmans when i got to 35s

Back