• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New lift, disturbing sounds

wolverinexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello:
I just completed installing Rusty's 3" kit w/ full leaf packs on my 2000 Cherokee, which has about 63k miles on it. I'm hearing a kind of clunking noise from the front coil springs when, for example, I back out of my driveway and turn, making one side compress. I have checked, and everything appears tight - shocks, coils are clamped down good and tight, tie rods, trac bar, control arms, etc. I'm thinking that maybe this is just due to the fact that I have crammed 3" more of a stiffer spring in an area designed for the stock spring w/out putting on new control arms, and that what I'm hearing is just the stiff new spring "complaining" as it is compressed. The XJ has never been wheeled before. I bought it at about 35k and have taken good care of it, so I don't think it's the ball joints going bad. Another thing that makes me think it isn't the ball joint is that it never made this sound until immedilately after adding the lift.

I installed this kit to do some moderate offroading, but now I'm driving it "gentler" than before, worried that something is about to break.

Any thoughts?

It could be your trac-bar, thats worth checking...if your trac bar is too short and the trac bar its self is not actually making the noise check your bump stops they could be rubbing the coils and making alot of noises.

Back