• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unsure...to do or not to do?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
ok I'v got a 99 with 65,000 miles, snorkel, rails, 3" and 32's, Its far from a trail only rig and Its my daily driver and Im still in college and working part-time...I only wheel about 4-5 times a year on serious trails with tank traps, mud holes, rock gardens and such...now that you have a lil bio, heres my problem...

yesterday I dunked the XJ in a tank trap and sunk It to the top of my hood and Just under my windows on the side...engine stayed running and I had a good group of guys who reacted quickly and pulled me out within a minute or two...while in the water the XJ took on about 2"s of water...up to the bottom of seats and alot in the cargo area...that was the first time I'v ever had any water/mud go in the Interior...

well now I am contemplating tearing out carpet and herculining the entire Interior floor...Im not sure If Its a good Idea or not though, I'v read and done searchs on tons of articles on here and havent made a decision, seems like alot of people do It and then put the carpet back in a couple months later after they arnt happy? I dont mind the noise cause Its a Jeep and your gonna get noise with swampers anyway...but the heat dont seem to great of a thing..I dont wanna roast this summer in my XJ, I live in delaware so the summers are no more then 95 usually and winters are never below 0....what do you guys thinks the best thing to do? all the water eventually drained Itself out on the 2 hr trip home then I shopvaced the rest out and let It air dry, dont stink to bad....but what do you guys thinks the best thing to do? Just shopvac and air dry everytime or go the herculiner route? sorry for the long post but Im having mix feelings about what to do and am looking for some good Input

pull the carpet out and clean it really good. also clean the floor under the carpet. after washing the carpet out good. lay it out in the driveway in direct sun all day and let it get good and dry. then put it back in. the herculiner is really noisy and can get hot on the feet in the summer. its also not much easier to clean because it will trap dirt the first time it gets muddy.

I Just had the Idea of pulling out carpet and seats, then throwing down herculiner, then cutting out of the carpet the amount of size I want then adding snaps to snap down to the floor over the herculiner...It would prevent noise and heat, might be a nice look with the snaps as well...quick and easy to remove...I also want to leave the rear bench seat out and add a bucket seat on the passenger side and add a storage compartment behind the driver side...with a console in the center...

they sell magnetic heat shielding that goes on the underside of the jeep but i don't know where i saw it. i went down to tellico from ct with a rhinolining without heat shielding and it was fine cept it did get a bit hot around my feet.

2 years ago...
I got my Jeep on a Friday...
lifted on Saturday...
tires on Sunday morning...

hydro locked the motor and had water over the top of the shifter knob on Sunday afternoon...

Never had carpet since and I live in TX...

but is never DD or on the street for that matter.

The only place that gets hot is the passenger rear floor where there is a 3 inch hole in the floor board.

Back