• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spare tire dilemma

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I run 31x10.50R15 BFG's on all four corners, the wheel is a 15x7, but i'm not sure of the backspacing. The tires do stick out past the fenders just a little bit, maybe an inch. My spare is also a 31x10.50R15, but it's just a regular stock steel wheel. I've never had to use my spare, but someday I will. Is it safe to run a different backspaced wheel as a spare?

Shouldn't be a problem - the worst I can think of would be that it might feel a little funny - but as it's only a spare I'd say go for it. You'll look funny though ;)

uvaldetxj said:
I run 31x10.50R15 BFG's on all four corners, the wheel is a 15x7, but i'm not sure of the backspacing. The tires do stick out past the fenders just a little bit, maybe an inch. My spare is also a 31x10.50R15, but it's just a regular stock steel wheel. I've never had to use my spare, but someday I will. Is it safe to run a different backspaced wheel as a spare?

I run 32x11.5's with 4.5" offset (seems to be most common) with a 32x11.5 on a stock wheel for a spair. If i use the spair offroad, it rub's (front or rear) but works fine. On the street, if its on the front it rub's a little turning - but if your not afraid of rubbing a little paint off your control arms, there is nothing to worry about.

-cal

I just had my spare on Friday. I got a stock size tire (about 27") for a spare to 31's. I ran freeway speeds with no aparent adverse side effects. The only thing could tell was the right rear seemed to sag (witch is where the spare was). I did however lower the other sides tire pressure down to about 25-psi with the spare running 44-psi. For the record I have an open rear end also.

EDIT: The spare is on a stock rim with the 31's on 15x8 not shure of the offset though it's not stock eather

thank you all for the help. looks like i'll just keep that steel spare until I can get a new complete (5) set of wheels. maybe i'll go for the 22's with pirelli tires. :p

Back