• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flattop knuckles?

xjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at a 76 dodge pick-up w/44. the knuckle on the drivers side has a arm bolted on top like some chevys i've seen. The pass side seemed to have a similar area on top, extra thick looks like there could be enough room to put a arm on it as well. The drivers knuckle was dissasembled and I could see six bolts to mount the spindle to. Can these knuckles be utilized with the ford stuff when I convert to 5 on 5.5 Here are a few pics- here is the drivers side w/arm and six bolts
DSCF0044.jpg
P ass-side
DSCF0042.jpg
one more pass-side
DSCF0043.jpg

If any one can help I would apreciate it
Thanks,
Xjoe

Most Dodge axles have flat top knuckles but from '74-'79 they used stupid unit bearings. I don't think that you use the Ford stuff on the Dodge knuckle as the dodge caliper mount is cast into knuckle. If you can find a way to put the Ford Caliper mount onto the Dodge knuckle then you are good to go.

Otherwise do what I did, I'm using a Waggy D44 housing with all Dodge outers including brakes, the Dodge stuff is from an '86 3/4ton so this gives me an 8bolt lug pattern, if you want 5 on 5 use outers from a 1/2ton Dodge.

cLAYH said:
Most Dodge axles have flat top knuckles but from '74-'79 they used stupid unit bearings. I don't think that you use the Ford stuff on the Dodge knuckle as the dodge caliper mount is cast into knuckle. If you can find a way to put the Ford Caliper mount onto the Dodge knuckle then you are good to go.

Otherwise do what I did, I'm using a Waggy D44 housing with all Dodge outers including brakes, the Dodge stuff is from an '86 3/4ton so this gives me an 8bolt lug pattern, if you want 5 on 5 use outers from a 1/2ton Dodge.

Thanks for responding, I'm a newb so I didn't notice the unit bearing set up. I geuss I'll take a closer look tommorow. I think I'm gonna pull one side apart of the waggy apart and then go part hunting. Do you have manual hubs w/the dodge stuff?

Yes I have locking hubs. The Dodge axles have a CAD system similar to the earlier Jeeps BUT you just remove the guts from the Dodge hub and a regular D44 locking hub bolts right in. I'm using a set from a Ford.

If you do go with Dodge outers you will have to do some ssort of custom steering as the tapered hole in the steering arm for the tie rod end is a smaller taper than what the Waggy uses. A mute point if you are going hi-steer.

cLAYH said:
Yes I have locking hubs. The Dodge axles have a CAD system similar to the earlier Jeeps BUT you just remove the guts from the Dodge hub and a regular D44 locking hub bolts right in. I'm using a set from a Ford.

If you do go with Dodge outers you will have to do some ssort of custom steering as the tapered hole in the steering arm for the tie rod end is a smaller taper than what the Waggy uses. A mute point if you are going hi-steer.

Thanks for the info. So the waggy hubs should be interchangable. I am gonna go part hunting today thanks. xjoe

I am 99.99999999999999999999999999% sure the Waggy/Chevy 6 bolt spindles (or Ford 5 bolt) WILL NOT bolt to the Dodge knuckle. Everything I've read and researched has said to avoid the Dodge knuckles like the plague as they are incompatible with anything else.

I'm 100% sure that they will as I'm using Waggy spindles on my Dodge knuckles. I compared them side by side and they are exactly the same. I'm not sure why there is such a negative attitude on the Dodge stuff. I used it cause I have tons of Dodge stuff kicking around. I think people must be thinking of older -'74-'79 stuff with those stupid unit bearings and 4.5 on 5 bolt pattern.

The mid '80s stuff I have uses the same hub blanks as the earlier Waggys that had the Np203 case.

cLAYH said:
I'm 100% sure that they will as I'm using Waggy spindles on my Dodge knuckles. I compared them side by side and they are exactly the same. I'm not sure why there is such a negative attitude on the Dodge stuff. I used it cause I have tons of Dodge stuff kicking around. I think people must be thinking of older -'74-'79 stuff with those stupid unit bearings and 4.5 on 5 bolt pattern.

The mid '80s stuff I have uses the same hub blanks as the earlier Waggys that had the Np203 case.
Thanks so I want to look for 80's and newer?

BrettM said:
hmm, interesting, is the caliper mount cast into your knuckle?
i took that pic at a wrecker It looks like it isn't cast. I saw the 6 bolt pattern so I was curious. I'm not going there today but I'm gonna go look at some different wreckers,so I will see if I can find one to look at.

BrettM said:
hmm, interesting, is the caliper mount cast into your knuckle?

There are two threaded bosses on the knuckle that the caliper mounts bolt onto, if you use Dodge knuckles you need to use Dodge brakes. Spindles, bearings and outer shafts are interchangable with Chev/Jeep/Ford.

3/4ton stuff is the same as 1/2ton except that the threaded bosses are spaced out farther to accomodate a larger rotor, caliper and pads are the same. If you want to run 5on5 you need 1/2 ton knuckles, 8 bolt needs 3/4ton knuckles.

xjoe said:
Thanks so I want to look for 80's and newer?

Yep '80 to '84ish have locking hubs, '84+ use the cad system and will have blanks in the hubs. Either will work for you both use the same knuckle,brakes,spindles etc. Only difference is hubs.

Back