• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is slpine

OK, I'll take this one.

Spline is severe alergic reaction which occurs when NAXJA users do not SEARCH before asking questions.

Tell ya what, there Skippy. Look towards the top of the screen and there should be a button to answer your question.

Here. This illustration should help a little bit:
50mdll

umm. I dunno how you even considered asking that. Especailly on NAXJA in the modified section. Be prepared...

and yet he drives a cherokee with 33s and 6 inches of lift.

i would like to see one of you geniouses use the search to find a thread that defines "spline" :rolleyes:

this questions is so basic you will not find an answer here.

Answers.com: "Any of a series of projections on a shaft that fit into slots on a corresponding shaft, enabling both to rotate together."

splines are the little "bumps" on shafts (axle shafts, transmissions, transfer cases, etc) that grip the other little "bumps" of the female piece so that one part can turn another.

A "spline" - or more correctly, a set of splines - is one of a series of squarish ridges found on a shaft or within a bore - and typically, a splined shaft mates with a splined bore (the splines on the shaft are referred to as "outside" splines, and those in the bore are "inside.")

Splines are used for power transmission where the phasing of the shaft and recieving bore are not critical, and where easy disassembly of the shaft is required for maintenance and repair.

In our sense, splines are found in the following places -
Front Axle - pinion and yoke
Side gears and axle shafts
Axle Shafts and hub units
Front Driveshaft - Centre of shaft, where the shaft is able to "telescope"
Transmission - Input Shaft and Torque Converter or Clutch
Output Shaft and Transfer Case Input
Transfer Case - Input Shaft and Transmission Output
Rear Output Shaft and driveline slip yoke
Front Output Shaft and Output Yoke
Rear Axle - Input Yoke and pinion gear
Side gears ahd axle shafts

There are splines to be found within the transfer case and transmissions (used to mate gears to mainshafts and countershafts,) but you probably won't be dealing with them for a while.

Why are they important? The ability of a shaft to handle power transmission without failing at the joint is a function of material selection, shaft cross-section, and spline count (which determines the actual size of the splines.) Splines typically fail by "shearing" - where they are literally torn off at the root.

Splines are usually called out by shaft outside diameter and spline count - the number of splines around the shaft. Splines are almost always spaced evenly, but some application have a "doubled" spline for indexing (like on steering boxes.) An example is "1.125-10", which means a shaft with an outside diameter of 1.125 inches and ten splines around the perimeter (typical for out manual transmission input shafts.)

When the size of the shaft is known, unknown (but standard for application) or assumed, you can simply talk about the spline count of the shaft proper. This is often seen with some axles - like the ChryCo 8.25" (late XJ) - which has, I believe, either 27-spline or 29-spline shafts. Also, the AW4 had two output shafts - 21- and 23-spline, as I recall.

Typically, the finer splined shafts (higher count) can handle more torque due to the increased area of the splines available to work against the shearing force. In some cases, a higher spline count can also indicate a slightly larger shaft - again, an advantage when handling large amounts of torque.

Does this make a little sense? I do tend to go on a bit...

5-90

so now this question should neve rbe asked again. lol

I'd like to see a NAXJA search that would turn up a definition of "spline". More than likely, you'll see references to numerous posts discussing splines, but never a definition. :(

Google returned the following, edited to apply to Jeeps:

Grooves machined in the end of axle shafts that engage into a female set of grooves in the carrier. This is what engages the carrier to the axles to cause them to turn when the carrier turns.

In the case of a driveshaft, a series of longitudinal, straight projections that fit into slots in a mating part (example: slip yoke) to transfer rotation to or from the shaft.

Tolerance is cool :wave:

dang 5-90 thats a very detailed and understandable explanation, i'm impressed..
Maier

thanks everyone now i know yto searchh. umm i bought my jeep from a guy who was part of naxja and he told me about it. the guy did alot to the jeep and i wanna learn about my jeep

Thank you - I wasn't quite sure how that would have been recieved. You don't want to ask me a design question unless you have time for the answer - I have a habit of telling you all the ways that I see you can make it work (pick the one you like) and why, and then telling you all the ways that won't work and why.

It's like when my MIL asks me for "glue," and I reply with "what are you gluing?" She has yet to understand that I have - and use - at least two dozen different typies of adhesive - all of which can be called "glue." Epoxy, structural epoxy, thermal epoxy, slow CA, fast CA, gel CA, wood glue, tacky glue, the list goes on.

5-90

Grifter144 said:
dang 5-90 thats a very detailed and understandable explanation, i'm impressed..
Maier

Back