• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ grease fitting locations

under your hood :D

I pretty much just went under mine armed with my grease gun, loaded with the Mobil 1 Synth grease and just went at it.....
What you miss this time you will get next time :)

Kejtar

A local franchise of an Oilcan Henry's lube chain tried to charge me extra for a basic lube and oil change 'cause they said that my (bone stock, mind you) XJ had "more than normal" zirk fittings to be greased. (It was real hot out and I didn't want to deal with changing the oil) Evidently their docs didn't match what they found. To their credit, at least they did grease the thing, but it took half an hour of heated discussion before they capitulated on the price. Obviously, I don't go there any more. I mention this because even the pictures in Haynes or Chilton's may be incorrect. Mine match my FSM, so I don't know what the source for their info was.

01XJ,

I know your XJ a little different than mine when it comes to grease fittings but here where I have mine:

With grease fittings:
* Upper Ball Joints - 2 fittings
* Rod ends - 2 fittings
* Idler arm - 1 fittings
* Center line to drang link joint - 1 fitting
* Trackbar joint at chassis bracket - 1 fitting
* Front drive shaft u-joint - 1 fitting
* Front drive shaft slip joint - 1 fitting
* Front drive shaft double cardin - 2 fittings, need to use a needle
* Rear drive shaft u-joints - 2 fittings

Without grease fittings:
* Front axle shaft u-joints - 2 joints
* Lower Ball Joints - 2 joints
* Steering shaft - steering column to steering box

You may have more sealed items like axle shaft u-joints and double cardins.

A tip my Dad gave me is to lube the ball joints with the weight off the suspension so grease will get into the contact area.

I use to use Mobil 1 grease but found the Valvoline Synthetic grease had better performance specs. Since both tubes cost about the same I went with the Valvoline. The Mobil 1 is a nice red color, the Valvoline is the normal great color.

Martin

Thanks, I'll take Martin's list and start from there. I'll try to document everything I find and post the results. I thought for sure a list would be in the shop manual - but if it's there I sure can't find it. Funny a book would show every spot weld on the whole chassis - but not a single grease fitting location.

Back