• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Setting gears.

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I am just about to get some Yukon 4.56 gears for my 99. I have No slip lockers in both the D30 and the chry. 8.25. I know that i will probably have to grind the ring gear in the 8.25 but will i also have to do it for the front? Also does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on how to do this? I have searched a lot and only found one good How to on this matter. I have set backlash many times before installing detroits etc, but have never had to deal with the Pinion depth. Any info on this would be great. thanks.

I believe on the d30 you are OK as far as the shaving the teeth or cross pin
but you need a new carrier to hold the 456
radys ring and pinion has a great video on the set up and they even do a cryco 8.25

i'm assuming you know some about setting up a good pattern on the gears... but to set the pinion depth without using the special tool is a guessing game (the tool is rather expensive) basicly put shims the same thickness as the old pinion bearing on set up your gears. spin them around and check the pattern then pull it all out again and adjust the depth according to the marks. use the old crush sleve with a 10 or 20 thou shim and retoruque for proper preload the the d-30 uses shims instead of a crush sleve so torque the pinion nut down to the proper ft lbs and check the preload.

I think your throwinhg out an estra step. you don't need to re-use the old collor or shims when doing a trial setup. simply leave those items out and only tighten the pinion nut up to proper preload. be sure that everything is seated though. I like to hit the pinion in and out with the copper hammer. I have found many times that after doing so I needed to tighten up the preload a scosh more.
take your time. Gears are like golf, have paitience and you will do better. grinding the ring gear is no big deal. I use a die grinder with a hardened steel bit. there is no real guide on how to do it, you just do. when you go to put the shaft in you will be able to see what needs to be removed. take small bits till you get it correct. and don't worry about it.

Back