• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing 91 XJ Chrysler 8.25 to 4.56 gears

Augidogi

NAXJA Forum User
:hang: Do you know a good how to reference to set up 4.56 gears in a 91 XJ stock Chrysler rear end. We have purchased the complete gear set and bearings and disassembled the axle. We purchased a Motive gear set, complete installation kit and a video. The set up adjustments on the video are for axles with carrier bearing adjustments made with shims. The Chrysler 8.25 has adjustable screw carrier bearing adjustments. After you set up the ring and pinion how do you set the preload on the carrier bearings? Do you need a special torque wrench to tighten the bearings before you torque the (preload) carrier bearing caps completely? Do you know of a good web-site or "how to reference for setting up this 91 XJ Chrysler axle with the 4.56 gear set? We are planning to use this rear end in our 89 xj that we have already installed a Rubicon 4.5 lift, slip yoke eliminator kit, Woody drive shaft. We are currently running 31" tires. The XJj has a 5 speed manual transmission. We are also going to put the same 4.56 gears in the front axle and have purchased the new carrier, gears , and installation kit for that axle also. Do you know a good step by step guide for that stock 89 XJ front Dana axle. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

You will notice that the adjusters have what looks like a bolt hole on the end. The guy who did mine had a 4 ft bar of tube steel with the correct size bolt welded on the end to fit that adjuster. Once we got the carrier back in with the auburn LS I used the adjuster thru the axle tube to alternately tighten and loosen the adjusters till he got the correct backlash. I don't know whats involved with changing the pinion gear as I kept the same gears.
Other one that I suffered at their amusement, the ring gear bolts are leftys :D try to remember that or you will be wondering where they got the 10,000lb gorilla to tighten them. The let me fight with those bolts for about 10 min and only relented when I asked for a cheater bar....
Fit those adjusters in carefully when you are screwing the caps back down, mess them up and you are hosed. I did find out that you can adjust the passenger side adjuster almost in to the axle tube when taking the carrier in and out. That saved a bit of time when he was grinding the housing to fit the auburn LSD.

Back