• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Bag lift

sorry, there's a reason nobody makes one. as for on the trail, never seen one. there's a reason for that, too. why don't you fill that space with longer springs.....

xuv-this said:
sorry, there's a reason nobody makes one. as for on the trail, never seen one. there's a reason for that, too. why don't you fill that space with longer springs.....
Yup, no one makes an air bag lift kit....absolutely no one.

Sorry wrong guys. I have installed them before and about to do mine as well. The is a rear only kit made by Airlift and it is #59507.
59500.jpg

Cheapest place on the net to get them is here http://www.accessconnect.com/dodge_jeep_chrysler_pickup_truck.htm
You can a front airbag kit as well #807702 made by Polyair which is an Australian company but they are sold over in the USA ( under the Airlift brand ). Saw a kit today sell for only $20 and they still have 2 left. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7971591403&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
al1000kit.jpg

Remember though that these bags are for supporting loads and will stop sagging but are not designed to raise past what you supporting leafs or coils are designed to be at. I have found in practise that they will take a leaf 1.5-2" past their normal un sagged height but found beyond that you needed too much bag pressure and the ride became harsh.
What I am doing with my setup is getting the rear kit and turning the top frame bracket upside down which sets the bag up 3" lower on the frame. This will allow 3" of more height in its static position and 3" more down travel. I have already sport bumpstops and a 2" drop on those to stop the bags from bottoming out. Then I intend to remove the add-a-leafs which give a me 4" lift and instead lowering both the front and rear leaf springs mounts 4". This will give me a nice flat spring which always gives a better ride than a arched one but have the bag support for when I have a load on board. This will be perfect for my setup which is mainly touring while towing and most would know as the bags only give around 8" of travel.

You can also do a full leaf and coil replacement as well with a rear 4 link setup and you can then have fully adjustable in cab controlls etc as well. I cant find the site back again as only saw it again a few days ago but there was a full kit avaiable including the rear links and brackets.
If you want a lot of offroad travel then you should look at the Airock kit for the TJ and see of the rear setup can be adapted. The front would just bolt straight in.
http://www.wooders.com.au/Products_AiRock1.htm
http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/
airock1.gif

On the site info includes:
AiROCK™ is a computer controlled coil replacement system. The coil springs are replaced by our custom air springs, and the bump stops are moved to the custom shock absorbers that come with the kit. The system includes four air springs, four shocks, the user interface, the AiROCK™ Control Unit (ACU), four height sensors, stainless steel brackets, and the wiring harness and tubing to connect all of the components.
AiROCK™ ties into the Vehicle Speed Sensor, (VSS) which in conjunction with the ACU, allows the system to know the vehicle speed and height of all four corners at all times. This information allows AiROCK™ to operate in three different driving modes, which include "Off road", "Highway" and "Freeway". The end result is the best of both worlds-- total control of your vehicle's behavior off road, and a safe, level vehicle at higher speeds.
kit-pic1.gif

AiROCK™ allows the user to control the height, pitch and roll of the vehicle with a touch of a button. Push the "right arrow" and your vehicle leans to the right, push the "up arrow" and the vehicle rises to its maximum height. Press the "check" button at any time and you return to your predetermined, level ride height. A simple, intuitive dash-mounted interface provides a powerful way of telling your vehicle's suspension how to behave in real time.
Button menus are also customizable so you can easily execute commands that you use most often, both on and off road. The user interface is encased in black anodized aluminum to ensure longevity and a clean OEM appearance. The interface even turns its backlit screen on automatically as night falls!
interface1.jpg

Check out this link where you can see what it does ;)
http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/airock2-2.shtml

Last edited:
I've also being playing with idea for some time now. I think it would be possible to do the front fairly easily by adpating the airock system, but the rear might be a bit more difficult. I was thinking of four linking it or doing air over leaf which is basically remove most of you leaf pack except the main and one other leaf (to place the axle), then placing the bag on top of the axle and running an anti-wrap bar. The four link way would most likely be the best way in the end. But I have would need to look in to it more seriously.

Whats with the rear pinion angle on that last shot? That one looks way too steep and shouldn't even be anything like that as it does not have a double cardon joint!!.
Does anyone know what C-ROK uses for there front airbags? I would much prefer to run the rubber bags than the other poly ones as more flexable. Looks a lot like the TJ setup doesn't it.

Gojeep said:
Sorry wrong guys. I have installed them before and about to do mine as well. The is a rear only kit made by Airlift and it is #59507.
59500.jpg

Cheapest place on the net to get them is here http://www.accessconnect.com/dodge_jeep_chrysler_pickup_truck.htm
You can a front airbag kit as well #807702 made by Polyair which is an Australian company but they are sold over in the USA ( under the Airlift brand ). Saw a kit today sell for only $20 and they still have 2 left. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7971591403&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
al1000kit.jpg

Remember though that these bags are for supporting loads and will stop sagging but are not designed to raise past what you supporting leafs or coils are designed to be at. I have found in practise that they will take a leaf 1.5-2" past their normal un sagged height but found beyond that you needed too much bag pressure and the ride became harsh.
What I am doing with my setup is getting the rear kit and turning the top frame bracket upside down which sets the bag up 3" lower on the frame. This will allow 3" of more height in its static position and 3" more down travel. I have already sport bumpstops and a 2" drop on those to stop the bags from bottoming out. Then I intend to remove the add-a-leafs which give a me 4" lift and instead lowering both the front and rear leaf springs mounts 4". This will give me a nice flat spring which always gives a better ride than a arched one but have the bag support for when I have a load on board. This will be perfect for my setup which is mainly touring while towing and most would know as the bags only give around 8" of travel.

You can also do a full leaf and coil replacement as well with a rear 4 link setup and you can then have fully adjustable in cab controlls etc as well. I cant find the site back again as only saw it again a few days ago but there was a full kit avaiable including the rear links and brackets.
If you want a lot of offroad travel then you should look at the Airock kit for the TJ and see of the rear setup can be adapted. The front would just bolt straight in.
http://www.wooders.com.au/Products_AiRock1.htm
http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/
airock1.gif

On the site info includes:
AiROCK™ is a computer controlled coil replacement system. The coil springs are replaced by our custom air springs, and the bump stops are moved to the custom shock absorbers that come with the kit. The system includes four air springs, four shocks, the user interface, the AiROCK™ Control Unit (ACU), four height sensors, stainless steel brackets, and the wiring harness and tubing to connect all of the components.
AiROCK™ ties into the Vehicle Speed Sensor, (VSS) which in conjunction with the ACU, allows the system to know the vehicle speed and height of all four corners at all times. This information allows AiROCK™ to operate in three different driving modes, which include "Off road", "Highway" and "Freeway". The end result is the best of both worlds-- total control of your vehicle's behavior off road, and a safe, level vehicle at higher speeds.
kit-pic1.gif

AiROCK™ allows the user to control the height, pitch and roll of the vehicle with a touch of a button. Push the "right arrow" and your vehicle leans to the right, push the "up arrow" and the vehicle rises to its maximum height. Press the "check" button at any time and you return to your predetermined, level ride height. A simple, intuitive dash-mounted interface provides a powerful way of telling your vehicle's suspension how to behave in real time.
Button menus are also customizable so you can easily execute commands that you use most often, both on and off road. The user interface is encased in black anodized aluminum to ensure longevity and a clean OEM appearance. The interface even turns its backlit screen on automatically as night falls!
interface1.jpg

Check out this link where you can see what it does ;)
http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/airock2-2.shtml

not really sure about some of these but i have installed the ones for the front (the red air bags) go inside the springs. the ones i have installed were for people with pickup trucks that use a snow plow. they do raise the vehicle some but they do alot on stiffining the front coils so im not sure how they would perform on the trail.... just my .02

I use the Air Lift springs on the rear of my 2000 XJ and do a lot of towing as well as wheelin. They definately limit the articulation in their stock form. At the same time, the fact that I could lift an additional 1 1/2 to 2 inches got me out of some problems. If you are looking to do extreme wheelin, then don't use the Air Lift or Firestone type of air springs. Mild to moderate conditions, you should be able to get by well enough.

If you have a lift of over 2 1/2 inches, you will need to make pucks (or buy them) to increase the space between the frame rail and spring. Otherwise, you'll likely rip the air spring apart when the axle droops.

HOOWWLY crap! i seen it all now. so i knew about the "universal spring helper kits" but had no idea about the 4 link. so there IS a kit to lower the rear. wow.
so you guys who are running the fabbed airbag rigs; honestly i could never see why someone would want that over springs, so could someone enlighten me? like doesn't it get kinda annoying having to constantly push buttons while goin' over the big bumps?

Gojeep said:
Whats with the rear pinion angle on that last shot? That one looks way too steep and shouldn't even be anything like that as it does not have a double cardon joint!!.
Does anyone know what C-ROK uses for there front airbags? I would much prefer to run the rubber bags than the other poly ones as more flexable. Looks a lot like the TJ setup doesn't it.

I got my bags directly from Firestone.
Their AirRide division has about seventybillion different choices for air springs. The make air springs for applications ranging from vibration isolation and load hoisting through heavy equipment, buses and light duty trucks.

I ended up talking to one of their engineers and got him to send me a complete product line catalogue. I just picked ones that had the travel range I was looking for.

Of course my application was completely custom. If you're looking for someone to give you a kit for it, you'll be a lot more restricted in finding a bag that's a good fit.

I was wondering about this topic as well. Specifically as I run old Rusty's springs; what are pro's and cons for having soft springs in back, and bags for towing/gear to and from the wheeling site. Does that = the best of both worlds? Obviously this is pertaining to a multi application vehicle i.e. DD's with dogs/family events to go to and from etc. Do the lift bags in rear limit the articulation (droop) enough on a moderatly lifted XJ ( 4in - 6 1/2in) ish lift to compromise wheelability?? I know that in all things multi-tasked that there are trade offs... but say in theory you had full lockers in said XJ.... could the lack of articulation be made up by locked ends?? Would they rip?? I know '345 alluded to this already... Maybe with some limiting straps?? Just food for thought.... and maybe the guys that have done/will do it ( C-ROK, GOJEEP ) can give us some ideas to play with. I don't mean to be redundent...sorry. As always thanks for improving our knowledge gents!

C-ROK said:
I got my bags directly from Firestone.
Their AirRide division has about seventybillion different choices for air springs. The make air springs for applications ranging from vibration isolation and load hoisting through heavy equipment, buses and light duty trucks.

I ended up talking to one of their engineers and got him to send me a complete product line catalogue. I just picked ones that had the travel range I was looking for.

Of course my application was completely custom. If you're looking for someone to give you a kit for it, you'll be a lot more restricted in finding a bag that's a good fit.

so how do you like it? what advantages does it have over a good matched set of springs?

xuv-this said:
so how do you like it? what advantages does it have over a good matched set of springs?
It's neat but certainly not for everyone.

The advantages are the ability to change ride heights and force downward articulation. I think the ride is a little smoother. The bag will never sag like a spring and so long as it doesn't rub on anything, it's essentially a lifetime spring.
The disadvantages are it's completely custom and complicated with the multi-solenoid vavles to operate. There are plenty of fittings to leak. Unless you go with big bags like mine (to which fitting them in becomes a rather significant issue) you are pretty limited in bag travel. My bags have roughly 13" of useable travel. Ones like shown elsewhere in the thread and those used by the companies selling kits, are more around 6" to 8" of total travel.

Air bags can certainly be used for load leveling. It would be possible to design a set up where you did not use a captive mount on the bottom of the bag. In that way the bag would only resist up travel above static and not affect down travel. Sort of the same idea as not using a lower coil retainer.

Back