• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner on top of rubber seals

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I'll be probably finishing up my rig with the herculiner towards the end of the week and I'm wondering if herculining on top of the rubber window seals is good idea or bad idea. I know that it will stick to rubber like glue, but is there any downside to it? Like long term deterioration of the rubber or something like that.

I dont think it will eat away the rubber or anything, I accidentally got some on a door seal and it's ok. I also put some on the rubber floor mat things that are up on the firewall and they're ok also. fun stuff.

Slip Kid said:
I dont think it will eat away the rubber or anything, I accidentally got some on a door seal and it's ok. I also put some on the rubber floor mat things that are up on the firewall and they're ok also. fun stuff.
hmmm door seal is something I would stay away from as when it becomes rigid it would stop sealing right. Btw, reason I am thinking about going with herc over the window seals is that I possible I would like to avoid pulling the seals out for painting.

I just did mine last weekend. Turned out great! I love it. Hate the smell of it though, It still hasn't aired out.

I would try to avoid gettin herc anywhere near rubber or seals in your vehicle. It makes the rubber brittle. I accidentaly covered to drain plugs with it, not realizing it, and when I later found them it was almost impossible to get them out. After they were out, they were very brittle and hard to move. So I'd try to stay away from rubber.

As far as not taking everything out. I would. It makes it look like a more professional job. I took everything out. Seats, trim, firewall protectant, console. Only thing I left in was the heat shield and thast cause I herced over those. I did however miss some spots next to the console and It looks a little tacky, I'm gonna fix it up tho.

If you want pics I'd be happy to share, just leave your email.

JC

Bigsurf75 said:
As far as not taking everything out. I would. It makes it look like a more professional job. I took everything out. Seats, trim, firewall protectant, console. Only thing I left in was the heat shield and thast cause I herced over those. I did however miss some spots next to the console and It looks a little tacky, I'm gonna fix it up tho.

If you want pics I'd be happy to share, just leave your email.

JC
While I'm painting the outside, I still would like to see the pics of how the inside turned out: send them to [email protected]
Remi

I'd say tape over the seals, then 'paint' the stuff on. From experience taping with the stuff, if you let it dry you'll need to cut the herc with a razor when you pull the tape off, or else it will try to start peeling. you can remove the tape while it's still wet if you're carefull.

take pics I've been considering doin the whole jeep. so far i've just done floor and wheels.

Slip Kid said:
I'd say tape over the seals, then 'paint' the stuff on. From experience taping with the stuff, if you let it dry you'll need to cut the herc with a razor when you pull the tape off, or else it will try to start peeling. you can remove the tape while it's still wet if you're carefull.

take pics I've been considering doin the whole jeep. so far i've just done floor and wheels.
:D Yeah you can't let it dry on the masking tape. When I painted the lower half of doors, fenders and rear quarters (or rather what remains form them) I've put on a few layers of herculiner and the quickly removed the masking tape. That actually ended up coming out pretty nice and the line was pretty nice and even as well.
I've got a remainder of what came in the 1 gallon can that I'll be using on my jeep probably this Fri and I'll try to remember to take pics. My plan is to do the fenders, a pillar, b pillar, c pillar and the doors (pretty much the whole side). I'm not sure if I want to do it on the roof or not though. Oh yeah, the hood will get regular paint to match color (jeep is red, herc is black) as I don't want to make it insulated.

Back