PDA

View Full Version : 207 to 231 swap

May 7th, 2005, 10:28
I pulled the 207 from my '86 MJ. It was mated to an AX-4 tranny.

I bolted up a 231 stupidly without checking anything other than the spline counts....so naturaly I've hit a snag.

It seems the 207 t-case input is longer and larger in diameter than the 231...and I'm leaking gear oil between the tranny and t-case which tells me the seal isn't 'sealed'. The 231 is out of an '89 YJ with the AX-5 (I believe).

I know the output seal was good because when we pulled the 207 the tailhousing was clean and dry and the fluid had been full in the tranny.

May 7th, 2005, 11:45
Well I think I answered my own question...but feel free to put in any more info (or correct me if I'm wrong).

I searched back and figured out the 231 I got is out of a jeep with the puke-goat tranny. SO the tranny output is long and the t-case input is short.

Since I have an AX-4 the tranny putput is short...which means I need a t-case with the long input.

So now I just have to hunt one down or find a busted one with a good input shaft.

Again if anyone has any other ideas let me know please.

XJ_ranger
May 7th, 2005, 12:56
Well I think I answered my own question...but feel free to put in any more info (or correct me if I'm wrong).

I searched back and figured out the 231 I got is out of a jeep with the puke-goat tranny. SO the tranny output is long and the t-case input is short.

Since I have an AX-4 the tranny putput is short...which means I need a t-case with the long input.

So now I just have to hunt one down or find a busted one with a good input shaft.

Again if anyone has any other ideas let me know please.

just dealt with this issue while swaping in a 231 into the XJ

my XJ has an ax-15 and the TJ donor had the aw4? or whatever auto tranny with a longer input that i needed...

i swaped the planataries and input bearing from the old case
more info here:
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day%2015/np231.htm

i do know that the planataries and inputs are the same from the 241 and the 231 (the 241 hass 6 planatary gears - but that doesnt matter)

i dont know if the planataries form the 207 are the same...