• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Locker?

tazz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok now bear with me PLZ but I'm kinda ne wand don't know crap about lockers!
But I just bought a 1992 XJ 4.0L HO, auto, Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD, Dana 30 up front, and Chrylser 8.25 in the rear (27 spline I guess), with 3:55 gears.
Now I was thinking about getting a locker for the rear. I was thinking of somthing I can drive on road with no problem's, yet will work good off road.
Now I don't do much 4 wheelin' (YET) but it will be nothing to major. So I don't need some fancy $600 air locker or anything like that, but would like a good locker for a good price.
Also I was thinking maby later of getting a Detroit Truetrac for the Dana in the front. But thats a dew months away yet. But keep it in mind for the rear choice so they will work well together.

Thanx in advance!!!

hey powertrax no slip seems to be the common answer for this question use the search function this has been asked a number of times...

I also have the 8.25, and i have 4.56s and a detroit locker. its more loyal than my dogs. i wouldnt own a jeep with out one for the rear. and i also have a yj . both have detroits& oxs

Grifter144 said:
hey powertrax no slip seems to be the common answer for this question use the search function this has been asked a number of times...
agreed, i've run my no-slip for a couple of yrs. now with zero problems....and very easy to install

tazz said:
tazz said:
. . .Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD, Dana 30 up front. . .

IF you intend to use it in Full-Time on the street in snow and ice, AND want a front locker, it should be selectable.

tazz said:
some fancy $600 air locker or anything like that . . .

Yup, they are more expensive.

I have the Full-Time NP242 as well, and like the safety margin it offers on slick pavement, a non-selectable locker up front is not a good idea considering the conditions you likely drive in.

I have an auburn LS in my 8.25, been in over a year now, like it, well behaved, takes some getting used to on snow where you have to learn not to power thru corners because both LS and lockers will push you straight in 2wd...

Back