• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender trimming

YES..
cutting lower & folding or rolling the lip inward to acheive the desired opening is both cleaner looking and adds more structural integrity to the weak sheetmetal,
so that in the case that you install some sorta flares & then get against a tree or rock while out on the trails the fender won't just fold inward..

fnjeep314 said:
what is the cleanest way to trim fenders? Would it be better to cut lower and roll the lip up or what? Anyone know?
Metal shears will give you one of hte cleanest custs. It's going to give you a workout though and you need both the red and green grip ones (right nad left handed cutters?).

Kejtar said:
Metal shears will give you one of hte cleanest custs. It's going to give you a workout though and you need both the red and green grip ones (right nad left handed cutters?).
Thats what I used, turned out great. Only thing I didn't expect was the paint to flake like it did where I cut. So I sanded the paint down to bare metal (in about an inch all the way around the fender) and Herc'd it... Looks good.

dothedew24_7 said:
Thats what I used, turned out great. Only thing I didn't expect was the paint to flake like it did where I cut. So I sanded the paint down to bare metal (in about an inch all the way around the fender) and Herc'd it... Looks good.
Hmmm my paint only flaked on the bends where the metal was being bent up and away, but a nice coat of herculiner on top of it took care of it :D

Back