• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Types of tubing....

drbobxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... planing on building a roll cage..

I have called around to many place for tubing and they all call it something different... So what do you call it.. I need to buy it this weekend...
I what 1.5 OD x .120 Wall HREW tubing...

SO one place called it:
A513 STEEL TUBE
1 ½ OD X 11GA 20’

And another:
ASTM 513
1 ½ OD X 1/8X 20’

So which one is right... OR Please tell me what to ask for to get the right stiff, I know I what HREW and not DOM, Dont have the $$ for DOM

Thank you..

Last edited:
Those are both the same thing.

HREW is fine.

DOM is probably twice the price of HREW however, that's just a guess as I haven't seen the price of steel in a while.

Best thing to do is call them and ask the price per foot of each.

I needed some 1.75" x .083 a while back.

To my shock, DOM was $.12 a foot CHEAPER than HREW.

It always pays to get a quote!

CRASH

drbobxj said:
is 1.03 FT for 1 ½ OD X 11GA 20’ a good price?
that's really good! a friend in Northern CA just bought about 300 feet of 1.75 x.120 HREW for about $2.20/ft and he checked a lot of places and this was much cheaper than most. If I were you I would get all you think you may need any time in the future at that price. maybe even ask your friends and try to get it under a buck a foot for a large order.

Call around once you decide what you need, can save you a big chunk of change. Was ordering bushing stock, one place was $53/ft, other was $19/ft. Pretty unreal to see that HUGE of a difference, maybe it had sat around for years or something.

Back