• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Tap

is it sticking out enough to grab it with some vice grips and twist it out? if not youre gonna have to drill it out. OR...if you could cut a little more off (maybe 1/8"...you could put the tranny in reverse, cut around the shaft until you get to the center, then once you get to the tap, it should just fall off. leaving you about 1/8" of the tap exposed. maybe you could grab it then.

nope unfortunatly nothins sticken out and i dont think that i am gonna cut anymmore off just yet. if i have to i will probably drill out and use 1 size bigger tap and bigger bolt.. but any other ideas?

Re drilling won't work, the tap is harder than most drill bits.
Get a hammer and a good hard pointy punch, one that is slightly smaller in diameter than the minor threads in the hole.
Shatter the the tap in the hole. Get all of the pieces out.
If you're lucky, you'll just need to retap.

--ron

Can you get a hold of a welder? If so I have on a few occasions removed broken bolts by placing a fiber washer over the hole and nut on the washer, then weld thru the nut and weld the nut to the broken bolt(or tap in your case) then simply turn the nut.

Drill out as was said above will be VERY difficult.

You've got a couple ways to go here -

You can get Walton Tap Extractors from MSC Direct - they're tools that grab the tap by the flutes so you can back it out. I've got a few, they come in REALLY handy! Before use, liberally spray your penetrating lubricant of choice to help things along...

If you have patience and skill with a torch, you can burn the tap out - I've done this a few times. Keep the shaft cool and work slowly, and you can get the tap out with little to no damage to the threads. MAPP/Oxygen works well for this...

If you've got access to a lathe, it gives you more control over bit speed and the parts won't wobble - making the job doable. Use an endmill to drill out the tap - slowly (it works - I've done this a couple times at my granddad's.)

Those are probably the best options. DO NOT DRILL FREEHAND! All you'll manage to do is either break the drill bit off in the tap, or burn up a batch of drill bits. Either way, you just made the job twice as hard. The lathe method is easiest, but you'll probably be best off getting the tap extractors (be patient and take your time with these, but they DO work!)

5-90

Back