• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Factory Gas Skid

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
Got a gas tank skid plate from the junkyard for $10. The person before me took out the gas tank and I dont know if they bent the sides of the skid to get the gas tank out. The sides are angled out. Is that suppose to be like that?
Passenger side
PassSide.jpg

Drivers Side
DriversSide.jpg

That looks aboutright it boults to the underside of the unibody raol on both sides of the fuel tank.....you got the nut strips too right?

Yeah the ears are a little tweaked, but its nothing a pipe wrench cant fix. The ears should be horizontal.

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
The sides are angled out. Is that suppose to be like that?[/IMG]
No. They should be straight

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
Its Rustoleum Rust Primer. Its suppose to be red but the camera made it look pink.:-\

yeah, I got a hitch chillin there now.

So I need to bend the sides so they are vertical? Thats gonna be a pain...
You need to bend them in enough that the distance between the rows of bolt holes matches the distance between the bolt locations on the frame rails. Measure before you bend too much.

No - don't bend the sides so they're vertical. When you install it, only remove hte forward two bolts on each side (18mm socket) and leave the rear ones in place to hold the hitch. The two bolts on the passenger side are the ones holding the exhaust hanger.

Slide the tank skid up on the passenger side first to get it over the exhaust hanger, and lift the driver's side in place.

Reinstall the four bolts and drive away...

Oh yeah....PAINT THAT PINK THING FIRST ! ! ! !
happyfinger.gif

Yes, remove the shield. The easy way is to support the tank and undo ONE strap holding it up. It helps if you have a nearly empty tank so as to not put a lot of load on the remaining strap. The straps are attached at the front with a J-bolt into the body so once you have it sufficiently loosened it will lift off.

Use a sharp knife to start a cut/tear along the plastic shield, and remove it. Reattach the J-bolt and strap and repeat for the other side.

I believe ya have to get rid of the plastic or it wont fit. Besides, ya wont need it after ya install the skid anyway.
I measured the holes in the ears and compared it to the bolts in the frame. Ear to ear was 37 1/2in, and the bolts in the frame were 36in. So I'll try sliding it in like Yucca suggested.
Today I started painting it black with Rustoleum Semi gloss.

Really? The centers were 1.5" different? Hmmm...I'll have to go look again but I swear the sides looked like that on mine.

Yucca-Man said:
Yes, remove the shield.
Unnecessary.

Use a packing knife and just trim a strip about 1-1/2" wide off each end. Much easier than messing around with the tank hangers and such.

Eagle said:
Unnecessary.

Use a packing knife and just trim a strip about 1-1/2" wide off each end. Much easier than messing around with the tank hangers and such.

i will second that.. i only trimmed the plastic and it fit... be prepared to fight with it on the install.. it took 3 of us, a floor jack, and a few big prybars to get mine lined up.. and ironically my aftermarket hitch gave more clearance for it to fit that the OEM one i was going to use at first...

97 and up have a plastic gas tank,no need for a plastic shield on a plastic tank :) .Early model skids(84-96) will not fit on the later model tanks,bolt pattern is the same but tank is different.
Wayne

Got it installed and took pics.

Tools Needed.
Floor Jack
Utility Knife[box cutter]
18mm socket
1/2" Ratchet.
6" Extention
13mm socket

Skid all Painted and spiffy lookin.
Painted.jpg

Yucca suggested to keep the hitch on but when I pushed up the skid, the edges of the skid interfered with the edges of the hitch. So that wasnt gonna work. When I installed the hitch I didnt Anti-Seize the bolts. So I figured I'd do that when I install the bolts.

So I removed the hitch. 4 18mm bolts on each side held it in place and 1 in the very front of the each nut strip.
Removed.jpg

Trimmed off about 1 1/2 Inch of the plastic stuff. Found a couple small dents int he tank but nothing major.
Plastic2.jpg

I used a floor jack to push up the skid. The rear of the skid did push up against the plastic shied a little but it didnt cause any trouble. The holes didnt line up well on the passenger side. I tried pushing and pulling the skid but they didnt want to line up. The exhaust hanger was in the way. Used the knife to cut the rubber in half and got the 13mm on the bolts and took it off. I didnt need it cause I dont have a tailpipe anymore. Lined up the holes and bolted the most foward bolts on each side. The rear bolt holes on the skid didnt match up well with holes in the frame. So I skipped them and decided to drill them out later cause I had company coming over for mothers day.
Skid1.jpg

skid2.jpg

Then I installed the hitch back into place. This was the hard part. I had to pound the sides of the hitch over the sides of the skid. I started bolting the rear bolts of the hitch and made my way forward.
Hitch.jpg

Completed
Drivers side
finished1.jpg

Passenger side as you can see the scrap marks of when I pounded the hitch over the skid
Finished2.jpg

Rear
Complete.jpg

I think thats bout it... All I need to do is realign the holes that dont match up and I'll be good to go.
This is on a 93 Sport 4.0 with a 15 gallon tank..
Questions?

Last edited:
Looks good. Have never come across a factory one at all in my travels. Curious though as forementioned and yours are for the smaller tank. [dealer shows it as a 13.xgal tank] I've always had the larger 20gal tank and replaced my leaking one with same. Did they ever make a skid for the larger tank?

Back