• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end

Ironmen77

Can anyone help with identification of my rear axel? 1990 xj,4.0. Rear axel has been changed supposedly. Looks mostly like a Dana 35 but has a screw in plug, oval shaped bolt-bolt across 10 1/2", bolt-bolt top to bottom 9". The front from the nose to the housing 10".
Tag on back: 005193 56605387 1
stamped on passenger side tube: D605387 sw
I see the D60 and the 538. But, not sure is that for Dana 60, 538 gear ratio?
Can anybody decifer these numbers?

It may be a D35 from a previous year. The non c-clip D35s from the AMC era had threaded fill plugs rather than the rubber stopper Chrysler used. My 88 fill plug is a threaded pipe plug.

Eagle said:
It may be a D35 from a previous year. The non c-clip D35s from the AMC era had threaded fill plugs rather than the rubber stopper Chrysler used. My 88 fill plug is a threaded pipe plug.
Been lookin' at dana web site....hard to find stuff, but finally found something.
Dana 35/194 according to the BOM can't desipher much more than that. It says 1988 1/2 - 1989 xj utility I6. I guess I can start countin' teeth.

Too bad Yuccaman's picture of the D35 doesn't show the top half. Look at the picture of the D35 there, and note the kind of web in the casting where it goes from the center section to the axle tube sleeve. There is a similar area on the top, and on a D35, you should see embossed on one side, "D35C" and on the other the Dana diamond logo.

yes sir hard to read but top d. side 35c, top p. side looks like 35G, bottom p. side 2@, bottom d.side looks like9068. Dana logo on back cover plate with 42968 cover part number: found on dana site
305 8 ???
rev N
11-01-87

Back