• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 vs. NP242 Output Shaft

I've looked at a bunch of the threads about swapping these TCs and it looks like from the pictures I've seen they won't interchange. If I remember right I was going to buy one from a 242 from my Jeep mechanic until he found out I had a 231. That was 7 or 8 years ago so I'm not real clear on all the reasons why it wouldn't work.

Thanks Boise... I cannot figure it out from what I have read here either. But I get some real negative vibes about the flanges from SYE kits being interchangable. Anyone else out there know? TIA..... Bill-93XJ

If your referring to the type that use a flange attached to a stock type shaft, the flange itself should work on either. The output shaft spline is the same. The heavy duty type available for the 231 is a 32 spline larger diameter, so that one will not work.

I don't think the SYE kits are interchangable. Otherwise, the kit for the 231 would also be listed for the 242, and they're not listed that way. I'm not positive, but I think the output SHAFTS are not interchangable based on internal stuff...not based on the shaft-to-driveshaft flange.

Back