• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cotter pin / key

bigfour_0

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a cotter pin on the castle nut that connects the centerlink to the pitman arm. I promise this will be my last post on this whole steeing deal. Oh yeah I forgot once I got everythig changed I went to release the parking break and the damn button broke off! It just keeps coming.

bigfour_0 said:
Is there a cotter pin on the castle nut that connects the centerlink to the pitman arm. I promise this will be my last post on this whole steeing deal. Oh yeah I forgot once I got everythig changed I went to release the parking break and the damn button broke off! It just keeps coming.

Assume that there is always a cotter pin on any castle nut. That's what the slots are for. If you can't find the hole in the stud there's probably a rusted cotter pin in it, but it will be there.

Pretty much all the lower steering nuts are castellated, so you'll want some sort of retaining pin. I prefer to use stainless "Hairpins" myself - so I can reuse them comfortably if necessary (I never did like having to hammer a cotter straight and bend it again...)

Either way, I do strongly encourage the use of stainless for these pins, since they're exposed to all sorts of nastiness. Then again, I'm just cranky...

If you're not sure or if you think the nut has been replaced, check the threaded shaft end for a cross-bore. If it's there, get a castellated nut and PUT IT ON. As I recall, all the threads are "inch" sizes, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding the right sizes for the job.

5-90

Back