• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shift issues

alosix

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,
.. Its not an XJ.. and its not OEM, but it would be for you guys

Heres the swap
1997 TJ
1999 XJ AW-4
1994 XJ AW-4 computer

I've got most of the issues between the computer and new tranny wire harness solved.

First question
99-00 FSM calls the shift solenoids A, B, C and also 1, 2, 3. but I can't find the relation. Right now I have mine wired where c == 3 (TC solenoid, pretty sure that is right) A== 2 and B== 1. The Jeep literally won't move forward if A == 1 and B == 2;

Symptoms :
1.) In D/OD (not '3') it gets into OD really early. seems to shift from 1->2 fine, not sure if there is a 3 shift in there, but then 4 shows up at about 30 mph.

2.) Kick down doesn't seem to have any effect. I adjusted the cable again last night, but it still doesn't seem to do anything.

What I've checked :
http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html
Seems to pass all of those tests ok. solenoids are all at 12 ohms through the harness. Get a good .5 to 4 reading on the TPS.

Not sure if the pulse rate for the rear speed sensor changed between 1994 and 1999. I have 4 per rev on the 1999. Anyone know what the 1994 XJs had?

It shifts pretty well if I put it in 1-2 first. Allow the 1-2 shift to happen, then shift to 3 and then into D. Lockup seems to be happing also.

It might be a bit overfull on fluid. I'll check that again tonight and drain some if it needs it.

Jason

Ok.. Might understand my issue now.

FSM and testing seem to point to the rear tone ring for the output speed sensor to ring at 1 pulse per rev on the 1994.

There are 4 standoffs on the 1999 tone ring (opposed to 2 on the pictures I'm seening of teh 1994).

Does anyone know if the 1999 expects 2 or 4 pulses per rev from the output speed sensor.

Thanks,
Jason

Back