• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiper fluid levels

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to figure this out, so maybe someone can explain this to me. When my windshielf wiper fuid bottle is full, the light on the console stays lit. Now that it's nearing empty, I find it flickers one and off. I can't figure out exactly how this one is supposed to work. I would think it would light up when it got low. Could someone explain this one to me? is something wired wrong somehow? The connector to the bottle seems to be connected the right way.

TIA

Plug it in backwards.

That was supposed to be a joke but if the shoe fits........:laugh3:

You may just have the wrong sensor for that particular year.

I don't know if this applies to the wiper-fluid sensor, but that is the case with some other sensors for different years -- they work in reverse.

Last edited:
the float switch in the washer bottle is a magnetic switch, I fixed the one in my 90 and the one in my ex wifes 93 by taking it out and shaking the living hell out of it. The magnet sticks in the LOW position. try it it worked on 2 for me so far.

On my previous XJ (a '91) the light stayed on all the time so I just took it out. Didn't cause any problems and the light went off for good.

Do you really need a light to tell you it's low anyway?

stesul411 said:
the float switch in the washer bottle is a magnetic switch, I fixed the one in my 90 and the one in my ex wifes 93 by taking it out and shaking the living hell out of it. The magnet sticks in the LOW position. try it it worked on 2 for me so far.

hehehe. WIll give it a try. If not it may make me feel better! LOL

Dirk Pitt said:
On my previous XJ (a '91) the light stayed on all the time so I just took it out. Didn't cause any problems and the light went off for good.

Do you really need a light to tell you it's low anyway?

not so much that but I just find it damn annoying, so wanted to to fix it.

When I upgraded my idiot light dash on my 98 to a full gauge panel from a 97 there were an extra light or two and the the one extra is a 'security' light, they switched the security and low fluid lights in the panel so now when my fluid gets low the sercurity light comes on....

cykaaro said:
I've been trying to figure this out, so maybe someone can explain this to me. When my windshielf wiper fuid bottle is full, the light on the console stays lit.

I don't know what to tell you abour your vehicle but on my 95 I pulled the plug to the sensor as it annoyingly lit up when less than 3/4 full. You could of course pull the bulb to that light.

If it ever illuminates, do not proceed except to go directly to your local Jeep dealer for proper diagnosis and replacement.

Having said that... The level sensor's shot. It's a Pep Boys/Autozone/Kragen part. Visit them and get another, I'm willing to bet it'll cost less than ten bucks. Hell, you could probably get one in a junkyard for two to three.

BTW, with a properly-calibrated sensor the washer fluid light is the first-stage indicator of whether or not you're using your XJ correctly - think of it as the XJ clinometer.

casm said:
If it ever illuminates, do not proceed except to go directly to your local Jeep dealer for proper diagnosis and replacement.

Having said that... The level sensor's shot. It's a Pep Boys/Autozone/Kragen part. Visit them and get another, I'm willing to bet it'll cost less than ten bucks. Hell, you could probably get one in a junkyard for two to three.

BTW, with a properly-calibrated sensor the washer fluid light is the first-stage indicator of whether or not you're using your XJ correctly - think of it as the XJ clinometer.

Pulled one from the local wreckers already. Did the same thing. As for where to go? Nope. None of those places up here at all.

Back