• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

260 shafts for trail spares?

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
I've been in search of some 297/760 shafts for spares, but without alot of luck. at least, not in my price range. Its the time of year i'll be getting out and playing, so i want to carry spares. Is there a decent joint i can use, or something, to make a decent trail spare out of 260 shafts?
The important info..93, D30, 33's. 3.55 gears, but not for long, soon 4.56, lockright, light right foot. i plan on running rocky trails in nor-cal.

In my opinion 260 shafts make great trail spares. A dime a dozen and will get you off the trail. Maybe weld the caps to help alittle.

Phil ran the Rubicon a couple times last summer and a couple snow runs over the winter with 35s and 15 year old 260x shafts joints. He has an open 30 with 4.88s. he never broke one. I am not at all saying they are strong, but they aren't terrible. The front locker is what's going to kill them, but with an open diff and 33s they'll last through a lot of crap.

Well, im running a lockright in the front. I have ABS shafts with spicer 760 joints in it right now. So, just worried about spares. Would it be wise to pull my shafts back out and either weld them or machine them for full circle clips, and do the same the the 260 spares?

Ok. thanks for the info. i plan on going alloy shafts in the future, but right now my priority is gears, to the shafts may not make it this summer.

Ok, thanks again. I dont plan on going bigger then 33's, for now. i get more experiance, maybe sometime off in the future. So, just machine the yokes for full circle clips, and carry spares?

hillbilly_jeeper said:
Ok, thanks again. I dont plan on going bigger then 33's, for now. i get more experiance, maybe sometime off in the future. So, just machine the yokes for full circle clips, and carry spares?

when do you need the spares?

ill have some ABS 297's for sale as soon as the HP 44 swap begins...

Back