• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearings

blackdogxj

NAXJA Forum User
I couldnt find an answer on this, but id like to know if the hub assembly is rebuildable as in just replacing the bearings in side of the hub, or is it easier/cheaper to buy the whole thing??

Thanks
Brad

blackdogxj said:
I couldnt find an answer on this, but id like to know if the hub assembly is rebuildable as in just replacing the bearings in side of the hub, or is it easier/cheaper to buy the whole thing??

Thanks
Brad

You have to buy the whole thing.

Wow. That was a funky typing style. If you can, go to a junk yard and jack up another xj. grab the wheel and rock the top back and forth. If it moves, bad bearings, no movement, good bearings. Otherwise you buy new. Not so bad, save the cost. Hope it helps, Jeff

I think you would be better off just buying the part online...found them for around $105 a piece shipped to my door. With junkyard parts there is a greater possibility of failure since the part is used and old. Just my 2 cents

MudslinginXJ said:
I think you would be better off just buying the part online...found them for around $105 a piece shipped to my door. With junkyard parts there is a greater possibility of failure since the part is used and old. Just my 2 cents

where'd you find them for 105? I've seen them from 150 up?? Thanks,....

Quadratec sells the parts to rebuild the first generation (84-89) hubs. The kits costs $50, but doing the job requires a fairly heavy-duty press. I know of no source for parts to rebuild the second and third generation hubs. If your XJ is an early one, it's cheaper to rebuild but far easier to just buy new.

Like some others, I would not buy a hub from a junkyard. It might live for a couple of years, or it might live less than a week.

One of my local boneyards sells clean selected ones for 50 bucks off the shelf.

You might be able to get around the need for a press by doing on purpose what I have previously done by accident: pulling the hub apart with a slide hammer on the vehicle. You can get the hubs off with a slide hammer intact if you leave the axle nut on, but If you want to pull them apart on purpose, first make sure the hub is freed from the knuckle, because once apart it will be nearly impossible to do. So free it up, then put it back, bolts and all, then take the axle nut off, then put the slide hammer to it. You can rent those axle-pulling slide hammers at places like Taylor Rental. It's hard on your hands, so wear big gloves.

Back