• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lucas oil , snake oil ?

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
anybody have any real world experiance with Lucas oil products? i have seen some negative pictures and feedback on the web. it seems they are makin a ton of money, they are all over the NHRA these days, as sponsors and teams.

scott w said:
anybody have any real world experiance with Lucas oil products? i have seen some negative pictures and feedback on the web. it seems they are makin a ton of money, they are all over the NHRA these days, as sponsors and teams.

what did you hear negative ? My only experience is a display model of a gear set that you hand crank at the local auto parts shop. It shows how much better the lucas oil "holds/clings" to the gears in this clear plastic gearset in a box. At the very least i think it is a decent highquality oil and additives.

Lots of companies make money by the buttload ... i am not sure why that matters one way or the other

i use lucas in almost everything 1/4 of my tcase, 50/50 in my diffs, quart in my oil, everything runs really nice, its a 90xj with 120k and hardly any exhaust manifold. id swear by it, right along with seafoam. (not gunk)
HTH
Tom

I have seen that stuff work wonders. I run it in everything and will for as long as they make it. I highly recomend it.

no i'm not anti money, sometimes companies make a ton of bucks off of junk, shall we say. i just saw some photos of what i thought was Lucas additive and at high RPM it tends to do weird stuff like foam up and kind of seperate if i recall . but i am lookin for all feedback, good and bad. i usually just buy good oil and not many additives.

scott w said:
no i'm not anti money, sometimes companies make a ton of bucks off of junk, shall we say. i just saw some photos of what i thought was Lucas additive and at high RPM it tends to do weird stuff like foam up and kind of seperate if i recall . but i am lookin for all feedback, good and bad. i usually just buy good oil and not many additives.

I like the upper cylinder lube stuff they make. As far as oil additives, most oil companies don't encourage their use. I agree the best idea is good oil instead of additives. Anyway the straight sixes are rather low reving engines and doesn't have the chopping motion from roller lifters. .

Last edited:
I've been running a quart of the Oil Stabilizer in my 4.0l for a while now. It really seems to quiet down the piston slap it has at idle. I forgot to put it in last oil change and it was noticably louder. I also used a half a quart of oil last oil change which its never done before. I put it back in the other day when I changed my oil and its much quieter again. It works for me, but it is expensive though.

motorcityxj said:
what did you hear negative ? My only experience is a display model of a gear set that you hand crank at the local auto parts shop. It shows how much better the lucas oil "holds/clings" to the gears in this clear plastic gearset in a box. At the very least i think it is a decent highquality oil and additives.

Lots of companies make money by the buttload ... i am not sure why that matters one way or the other
I turned one one those up to 75 hundred and it spun a bearing!

I'd only use it if you have alot of miles and/or your engine leaks, smokes or is noisy. I've used that stuff in countless vehicles for those 3 reasons and I'm very satisfied. I also work at a parts store and hear testimonials every day about how great their products work. As for that bad write up on bobistheoilguy.com, makes me wonder about it a little. But, until I hear of actual damage occuring, I will continue to use and recommend Lucas products.

:forrest gump voice: its magic oil... :/forrest gump voice:

yes it does provide more stability & more resistance to wear

I use it in all my differentials, and transmissions, or tcases which require GO. In most cases, one bottle of Lucas, and then the rest high quality synthetic. I've pulled diff covers after hundred mile freeway jaunts, and never seen any bubbles or anything.

I use it in engines if they smoke, make noise, or have low oil pressure.

I've use the auto stuff in both my auto trannied vehicles, and they stopped slipping.

I have never bought into the "mechanic in a bottle" products. I will say I tried a bottle in my last oil change and it absolutly solved the problem I was having. After building my stroker motor the lifters would tick for a few seconds upon the first start up of the day. After adding the Lucas last oil change it quit ticking like the lifters weren't collapsing overnight. May be a freak conisidence, but I'm going to keep adding it at oil changes.

your guys input is much appreciated. heck i just remembered that several years ago i pulled the diff cover off to change lube and it was kind of foamy. been so long that i can't remember if i had Lucas in it at the time or not. the oil was hot at the time and since then i let the axle cool down to change the oil, no particular reason just seems to work out that way before i get around to it, or i suspect i may have water in it etc. recently i saw the "bad press" so to speak on the internet about some additives and got to wondering what's up. one of my concerns about products is the example of Fram oil filters, i had no idea they were so cheap until brought to my attention. sure enough i started using diffrernt brand filters and my oil pressure comes on much sooner! and of course Fram is a big name, evidently that's all it is?

I vote snake oil. I find it hard to believe that Lucas will do anything better for my engine than todays oils can do. Current oil formulas are so well engineered I find it hard to believe that dumping anything else in with them is going to be a good thing. Or that it could improve anything.
How many have torn an engine down that has had Lucas run in it??
Did you enjoy the black sludge that was stuck to every internal surface???
Spinning a wheel in a display at the store only proves viscosity and nothing else. Pick the display up and hold it sideways and you will see the difference in viscosity of the 2 oils.
Everything that everybody thinks it does for them could be done with a heavier grade of oil.
I will admit one thing about it..........it sure is sticky after 10,000 miles.
Timbo

i haven't tried running lucas oil additives in my motor, but for only one reason. from what i've been told by a few mechanics and parts guys, once you've put it in, you hafta put it in on every oil change. that can be quite a bit pricey when ur wallet's runnin thin and ur oil's gettin black

Atl XJ said:
Theres no sludge in my engine
Or any of mine...All vehicles get at LEAST a 1/2 quart every oil change.

260K+ on the 86 XJ, 190+ on the MJ, 150+ on the Supra, over 150K on the old Caprice...........Lucas is the ONLY mechanic in a bottle that WORKS.

And, as a side note, Marvel Mystery Oil makes a GREAT FI cleaner, and helps with sticky lifters. also, it's a great Air tool oil, Penetrant, and does a good job of cleaning off goo.

I have two service vans that the transmissions would slip in. That was 4 years ago. The Lucas trans additive stopped the slip. The trucks are on the road every day. The powersteering additive stopped a pump body to tank leak on another van.

I use the synthetic engine additive in the mighty 2.5 and it regularly sees 7k+ rpm.

I used lucas oil additive in a mercruiser 350 on a boat. this oil consumption/leakage of this engine, pre-lucas was about 1 qt/4 hrs. (@3000 rpm)

i had to nurse this engine for awhile, so i went to adding 1 qt of lucas with 5 qts of SAE 40. to keep up with the oil problem, i then increased the lucas to 3 qts lucas 3 qts SAE 40.

the engine kept on going and going, and oil consumption slowed down a lot. i have since puled that engine out and re-built it.....but the lucas kept it going!!!

my brother succssfully uses it in his 91 honda prelude to help curtail oil consumption.

The stuff work plain and simple.I use it in My f450 work truck the rear has 4.88 that was load as crap on the highway and now with lucas its much happier. the power stroke use to un ruff at 3000rpm witch is about 75mph and You would think its going to blow mut with lucas in it it is somuch smoother. and for thier fuel additive the mototr puls a lot stonger than with out. Now a good friendis an owner operator of a 18wheeler and ha also swears by it. a cuck of metal bounced up and destoryed his oil filter mount and all on his rig while he was pulling a full load at 80k and he didn't catch it for almost 3 miles with no preasure(yes he addmited he was busy on the phone and didn't knowtice the low presure) his mechanice told him he woul proble need a crank and such but when it was pulled down all it need was new bearing and they were just showing a little copper the guy couldn't belive it and said it had to be the lucas. he also runs the fuel aditive and it pays for its self within the first 1/3 f a bottle. so the stuf works plain and simple.

Back